Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do AMD's R9 Series (280x, 290x) Graphics adapter work in a Mid-2010 MacPro with OSX 10.9?

Obviously, Mavericks must support the new AMD graphics chips as the new MacPro will use two of those.

However, has anyone evidence that I can also upgrade my "old" MacPro with one of the new graphics cards?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), FCPX, DaVinci Resolve

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 2:28 PM

6 replies

Mar 13, 2014 9:39 AM in response to fraMax

That seller, MacVidCards, says he customizes these cards to order, expect three days ARO to ship.

That customization may involve flashing the firmware, which some users may consider a questionable practice.

System Requirements

Requires a 2008 or later Mac Pro (model identifier 3,1, 4,1, or 5,1).

OSX 10.7.5 or later required.

If you are running OSX 10.7.5-10.8.2 please notify us and we will include additional drivers.

If you're running 10.8.3 or later you will not need any additional drivers.

This card has an 8-pin and 6-pin power port, but runs perfectly on two 6-pin power cables.

I have no connection to him, and do not speak for him in any way. I am just repeating what his eBay advert says.

Mar 13, 2014 10:01 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

And sometimes without the customizing, you do not just not get startup screen but may not get 5GT bandwidth and will only use 2.5

You should first research netkas.org and others like MacRumors:

http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?searchid=38510179

MacVidCards was more about customizing and flashing Nvidia not AMD cards so not sure what he does now with them.

Mar 14, 2014 4:53 AM in response to axxelk

You can use Radeon 7950, 7970 and R9 280x with "old" Mac Pros. They are supported in Mavericks. You could even go for dual Radeon 7770, although no boot screen.

For the 7950, 7970 and R9 280x to work 100% you will have to flash them with EFI for Mac, that will give you bootscreen, as far as I know, although they will work just fine without EFI flash. Just no boot screen.

AND: to get full 5GT linkspeed you will have to remove a very small resistor on GPU.

The MacVidCards come flashed and with the resistor removed. So you pay the guy for that service and painless plug and play.

The 7970 and 280x require 1 x 6 pin and 1 x 8 pin power adapter. A lot of people say that it works fine with a 6 x 8 pin adapter and the Motherboard won't get fried, but to make shure you could go for 2 x SATA to 1 x 6 pin power dapter to get power from those ports for the 6 pin and then get a 2 x 6 pin to 1 x 8 pin adapter.

This way you can make shure that there's enough power for these cards, but you will lose 2 x SATA connectors.

I run a flashed reference design MSI gtx 680, which needs 2 x 6 pin and runs without any flaws.

Visit

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1547340

and netkas.org to find out more.

Do AMD's R9 Series (280x, 290x) Graphics adapter work in a Mid-2010 MacPro with OSX 10.9?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.