Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail - can't delete messages!

I keep deleting messages in Mail, but they keep reappearing somehow. I have even tried to drag them into the trash can. Advice??

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 2:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2014 6:25 PM

I had this problem on Mavericks, and am using an Exchange account. The deleted messages would reappear the next time Mail synced with Exchange (posssibly for IMAP too). What worked for me came from a post on this thread, doing a Mailbox -> Rebuild from the menu.

11 replies

Oct 29, 2013 6:26 PM in response to Eustace Mendis

Thank you. Yes, I usually select the message, then click the trash icon. For years, until TODAY, this worked.I Now the message disappears momentarily, then bizarrely resurfaces. I'm starting to think this has something to do with my iPhone update - maybe the phone is somehow "synching" and causing the messages to come back. However, in looking at my settings, I can't figure out how that might be happening.

(I have never need to do the command-shift-delete that you suggested, but I'll try it!) Thanks again!

May 13, 2014 6:22 AM in response to julew9

I've had this very same problem for while a while now, went back to Outlook 2011 as a result. Hoping that someone can provide a fix, as it is a ridiculous issue.

Here is another thread I started - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6213690

Just one question to those with the issue, are you spending any time making changes offline (ie not connected to a network/on a plane), seems I have some kind of link that I don't quite understand.

Jul 29, 2014 9:21 PM in response to julew9

I experienced this problem with Mac mail - The spinning blip by the mail account stops before the processing up to Apple server is complete. I keep Mail Activity open so that I can see when it ends. Then you can delete.

If you are getting a large e-mail you don't want - you can't delete it until it is received on your mac.

As I don't have any other devices - I rest Mac Mail preferences to not keep it on the Apple server after download - so the deletes go faster - otherwise the deletes have to sync up and then the move to trash.

Mail - can't delete messages!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.