Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 8 Installation error message: "Boot Configuration"

So, I just got my new MBP 2013 yesterday, and I am attempting to run windows 8 on my computer. I ran boot camp, partitioned everything (giving windows 100 GB), the installation process was working great... and then, after the "finishing up" phase of installation this error message came up. You will have to zoom into the picture to see it, but what it says is, "Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed." And then in the background it states, "The Installation was canceled: Any changed made to your computer won't be saved." I am at a loss for how to resolve this issue. Have any ideas?

User uploaded file

MACBOOK PRO (RETINA, 15-INCH, LATE 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 2:08 PM

2 replies

Oct 29, 2013 3:49 PM in response to jrey517

Alright, I have continued trying to install it in order to see if I might find out anymore information. This is what I have found. When you get to the "windows setup" pat of the installation where you pick the boot camp partion to install,there is a section at the bottom that says "windows can't be installed" on whatever disk is the bootcamp partition. This is what that looks like:

User uploaded file

The way the manual says to coontinue is to click the format button. however, once I click that button I STILL have that error message coming up. I clicked show details and this is what it says:

User uploaded file

I don't know what that means. But I suspect this is the root problem for the installation fail. Is there something I can do to fix this?

Oct 30, 2013 9:07 PM in response to jrey517

I fixed the problem! This is how:

1. Used disk utility to create a new partition, not boot camp. Boot camp creating the partition was part of the problem. I formatted the partition to ExFAT.

2. Created and ISO of windows 8 on a USB. For some reason the ISO works and the cd/DVD does not... Womp womp.

3. Restarted the computer, held down options, and then clicked the USB windows image.

4. I did still need to press format on the partition I created, but this time it worked. It installed!

5. Realized windows 8 is very upsetting and wished all games worked on mac.

Windows 8 Installation error message: "Boot Configuration"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.