Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I copy a very long iPhone text thread and email to myself?

I would like to copy and email myself a long text thread on my iPhone to save as a permanent document in text format. I only see now that I can do two possible things:

#1) Screen Shot page-by-page and then email to myself those photo images of the text conversation (but they will not be in text format)

OR

#2) Select each reply, one by one, and then forward those to my email. This could take an entire week to do.

Does anyone know of a better option?

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 3:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2014 2:18 AM

Would be nice to have a "Select All Messages" option.

28 replies

Oct 29, 2013 3:34 PM in response to Boxergirl

If you open the Message, you can hold your finger on one of the Message Segments until a pop-up shows up and click More ...then you can tap on each circle to the left of each Message Segment, then at the bottom of the screen you will see a curved arrow, click on it. All you message segments will now be integrated on another page. Then you can click on that and choose Select All and you can Copy and put it in an Email.

Feb 21, 2017 8:38 AM in response to Boxergirl

This is the only way I know of to do this. Put your iPhone down. Go to your Facebook account on your Mac or PC. Select MESSENGER from near the top left. Select the person whose conversation you want to copy. You will see every conversation you had with that person. Select and copy whatever portion you want.

I honestly don't think there is another way to do this. Certainly not as easy as this. Good Luck

Sep 25, 2017 8:23 AM in response to Mark Harpenstein

Mark Harpenstein wrote:

I think Chris j slinked off to whatever cave he came from. By the way, apple could you seriously simply fix this for us.

Nope, still here. I'm a user like you, and I have opinions just like you. And you are not addressing Apple here. This is a user to user support forum, and Apple does not participate here. If you wish for them to see something, use their feedback page here, http://www.apple.com/feedback

Aug 15, 2017 11:11 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Oh, ChrisJ4203, I hope that this reaches you 3 years after you posted it.

Oh yes, I do, indeed know what the "Real Purpose of SMS was." Yup, "Short" was, indeed, part of the acronym. I was in the industry when the precursors to SMS were being created.

That doesn't really matter though.

Why are you being so judgemental about someone's need to not only use texting/MMS/SMS for very long, involved, multi-person messages? If it is an important topic, something that they either need to document or record for future use or even to take a walk down memory lane, OMG, is that a violation of your code

. (Pun intended.). As an example, how about several family members in different locations, across different time zones, on different platforms, communicating over a multi-week period of time about, say, an illness (OR a surprise party or marriage or their ancestry discoveries...)?

To want to have a record of a monumental event is a great idea. Real life happens.

I would like to have a record of the conversation that my family just went through over the last month. Two out of four of us are in the biz yet found neither the time for or need to shop for an appropriate product during a crisis.

I actually don't care if I have to mark each entry in order to get an archive. It is that important to me. I'm guessing that there is an easier, better way.

Ack! May I suggest some "Getting Along with Others" practice? You probably could have a lot to offer to help others, as long as you don't chop their heads off at the onset.

Either that or "Just Don't." By all means, judge all that you want and get some good chuckles. Don't hit the response button. Much appreciated.

(I have most likely made a spelling or punctuation error in this response. Point them out if you must but know that you'll be whistling in the wind.)

Peace

Sep 25, 2017 8:42 AM in response to Mark Harpenstein

Mark Harpenstein wrote:

If you want to be helpful, try responding to the lucid points made by cinmarly. THAT I would like to see.

The only point I will respond to is that it is possible to archive an SMS message thread, however it requires third party software. Depending on your computer platform, TouchCopy works for Windows, and that company also provides for the Mac platform as well. The company is WideAngle software. They provide a free trial, or you may have to purchase, depending on how much you wish to use. I've used TouchCopy with Windows and it is very good. It does more than just copy SMS threads.

Dec 9, 2014 4:06 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Yes, seriously. I wasn't complaining, but the solution was essentially a recap of what Boxergirl was trying to get around. I didn't think it mattered or is relevant that the post was a year old nor that I signed on today. In any event, sincere apologies if you thought my comment was rude. I shouldn't take out my frustrations with text messaging limitations on others.

Thanks for the app suggestion. Unfortunately, I am a Mac user so I think I am back to the drawing board.

how do I copy a very long iPhone text thread and email to myself?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.