Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft Powerpoint 2011 Mac Crashing

Hi everyone,

I dont know if this is related to the OSX Mavericks as well, But I was creating a powerpoint presentation using some animations when my powerpoint crashed. I quit the application and since then I have not been able to start a powerpoint slideshow. I can create powerpoints, edit them but as soon as I click "Start Slideshow" my microsoft powerpoint presentation simply crashes. It happens every single time. I even tried creating a basic slide with no graphic with the same result. I even uninstalled the microsoft office and reinstalled it and its still crashes. I copied the detailed information from the error sheet.

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS

Date/Time: 2013-10-29 23:01:05 +0000

Application Name: Microsoft PowerPoint

Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Powerpoint

Application Signature: PPT3

Application Version: 14.0.0.100825

Crashed Module Name: unknown

Crashed Module Version: unknown

Crashed Module Offset: unknown

Blame Module Name: unknown

Blame Module Version: unknown

Blame Module Offset: unknown

Application LCID: 1033

Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0409

Crashed thread: 0

I need help please, my project presentation is tomorrow evening.

Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 4:08 PM

11 replies

Nov 29, 2013 1:55 AM in response to protean_2

I have a different question - can you guys edit lines? for example change their thickness? Whenever I try to edit any lines - on object or graphs - both on powerpoint and excell the app crashes. I can change their colour but not other proprieties. It works fine on word2011. The same is happening on my wife's mac, but I haven't notice any threads on this issue anywhere.

Nov 29, 2013 2:06 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Yes I did update it.

I called microsoft in Poland yesterday and the technical support guy said they never came across this problem before and it must be some issue on my mac - he said a re-install of the office should fix the problem. I still didn't try that option because I am very skeptic about it as I tried it on my wife's mac, and it also crashes.

Cheers

Mar 30, 2015 2:41 PM in response to protean_2

Hi there,

I found the explanation and a fix to the problem in another forum. It appears power point does not like that the MAC switches between graphic cards (one in the Intel chipset on the motherboard -where the normal use sits; and the more powerful dedicated graphics card that is invoked when power point goes to slideshow mode), so it freeze and then crash. There is an app (open source) in the web (gfxCardStatus https://gfx.io/) that installs minimally on your system (just an "i" on the upper toolbar). It tells you what graphics card is in use by the machine and allows that you choose among three settings for graphics cards switching (integrated only, discrete only and dynamic switching). My power point stopped crashing after I chose integrated or discrete options. Good Luck.

Microsoft Powerpoint 2011 Mac Crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.