Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Songs from pre-ordered albums downloading two copies

This week I've been getting automatic downloads from the Linkin Park and Lady Gaga CDs that I preordered, but it is automatically downloading double copies for every song. I checked in my preorders on my account and it only had one copy of each, and as far as I can tell I haven't been double charged. Why is this happening?

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 5:22 PM

4 replies

Nov 13, 2013 7:01 AM in response to woodlandfairy

This happens to me as well. I Pre-order stuff weekly, so it's getting pretty irritating. What seems to happen for me is that when the pre-order becomes available - if I am on iTunes at the time - it will automatically download and show up in Purchased. Then the next time I sign in using my Apple ID, it checks for available downloads and downloads the 2nd copy. Except that sometimes this has happened twice or more, so for some albums I have now THREE or FOUR copies in Purchased...

Nov 13, 2013 7:11 AM in response to woodlandfairy

I found a solution - sadly it's not the best.

When the pre-order period ended, the album downloaded the rest of the songs (twice each). 1st copy had the label info and my email in the metadata while the 2nd had everything but these two. I deleted the 2nd files and synced. The next time I opened iTunes it dowloaded the whole album again.

The digital booklet wouldn't open no matter what and the album was showing an iTunes LP button, although the album is not LP compatible.

I emailed support and they gave me some instructions which weren't all that helpful (check available downloads, internet connection etc...). They said it was a temporary glitch and that it's not supposed to happen on my next pre-orders.

The gave me 3 song credits as an apology - that was good of them.

My main problems were that (a) I had to add the lyrics back in the songs and (b) that I had to keep track of my play count and replay each song manually to reach that play count.

Everything works ok now. I have one copy of each song and the digital booklet works. So I advise the rest of you to bite the bullet and delete the whole album and then download it fromyour purchased tab in the iTunes Store. It's annoying, but it works. Hope this helps.

Nov 10, 2016 9:01 PM in response to woodlandfairy

This happens to me on pre-orders too, and I have found a simple solution:

1. Let both sets download fully. Everything should be in numerical track-listed order, with any dupes together.

2. Visually scan the tracks to check not all are duped (like on the new Enigma today, one track was not), so when you do step 3, you don't go into "auto" mode and simply Command-click every other track listed!

3. Command click on the each of lower copies (when there is one).

4. Command-Delete.

5. Click on the Move to trash option.

If you try to delete the first listing of the pair, it will just come back, forget exact sequence of events, but so far trashing second (i.e., the lower of the two in the list) tracks has worked fine.

Songs from pre-ordered albums downloading two copies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.