Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

27" iMac (mid 2011) DVD player has sound but grey screen image?

My DVD player just started acting up. I get sound and the DVD is playing but a grey screen image only? Oddy, when I go from full screen to a small format the image is visible but only during the transition? Why the transition is complete it's a grey screen with the sound working and I can hear the DVD playing but no image? what's up with this sensor need cleaning ? software? OS? I recently upgraded to Mavericks and am experiencing alot of new problems. Should I go back via TimeMachine?

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 5:29 PM

18 replies

Jan 5, 2017 10:44 AM in response to steverdezines

The sound and grey screen issue is usually due to copy protection measures (HDCP) the Studios require Apple to include in their software. You generally encounter it when using screen sharing, using second displays or using HDMI 1.0 cables not 2.0.

I get it with my Mini connected to my TV which is controlled by my iOS devices as this setup required Remote Management turned on.

Nov 2, 2013 12:52 PM in response to Bouscram

Mid 2011 iMac. I've tried everything and nothing works. level 2 tech with Apple support, I guess, Has been looking at this since Tuesday. She got back with me today with an answer. Right click the app on the dock and under options choose change screen, or something like that. I don't have that option. Under options I have keep in dock, open on login and show in finder.

I'm at a loss but, this is extremely frustrating.

Sep 26, 2014 11:53 AM in response to evadrellim

Fiddling with the display resolution seemed to do the trick for me as well. I was dealing mirrored displays with a Mac Mini and an external projector. I presume that making ANY change to the display settings will help. I'm guessing there is a corrupt preference file that gets overwritten by a clean file when you make a change, thus fixing the display issues.

My specific solution was this:

Open System Preferences > Displays

Enable Display Mirroring

Switch the "Optimize For:" setting to the alternate display option

Change the resolution to something else

Switch the "Optimize For:" setting back to the original display option

Set the resolution where you want it

Oct 29, 2014 8:59 AM in response to evadrellim

I was having this issue too. I think the gray screen is a symptom of DRM trying to save us from pirates - if DVD Player thinks that something else could be capturing the video output, it turns the output gray.

In my case, the solution to the problem was to go into System Preferences -> Sharing and disable "Remote Management" and "Screen Sharing" - DVD Player immediately started working again. I suspect that many screen capture apps will cause DVD Player to go gray, so try disabling any you can find.

Dec 16, 2015 10:36 AM in response to jacksonland

I am using Diamond - USB 2 Adapter for a 2nd screen. I unplugged it and DVD works again. Plug back in USB 2nd screen and then it goes GREY again.

So to watch a movie I have to UNPLUG my additional monitor before I can watch a movie and the movie I want to watch is meant to play on the other screen. Come on there must be some kind of setting or workaround. This seems way below Apple's level of brilliance for their products. I LOVE Apple products. I hope that someone has a workaround other than losing the exact monitor I want to use to watch the movies on in the first place. :-) That wold really suck.

PS: I have adjusted ALL of the settings in the SHARE settings. I have adjusted the resolution on the monitor to all different settings. I have tried every recommended thing on this page and other topic pages. Only thing that has worked thus far is to remove the monitor I want to watch movies on. WEEP.

Jan 4, 2016 2:48 PM in response to Steve Lochmiller

Thanks, Steve, for the comments on the additional monitor.

On my iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011) on El Capitan 10.11.2, unplugging a third monitor which I use through a Zotac USB to HDMI adaptor (DisplayLink Mac 2.4 driver) fixed the grey screen for me, too.

(I use my second monitor through a Thunderbolt to HDMI adaptor.)

VLC 2.21, however, plays the DVD without having to unplug the monitor.

Mike

27" iMac (mid 2011) DVD player has sound but grey screen image?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.