Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am being terrorized by InstallerMac and Bing

So recently I tried to update my web browser and somehow downloaded this nasty thing called InstallerMac. Now I have already reset my Safari preferences and have google as my main search egine and have already tried uninstaling it twice and reseting my computer twice, as well as reseting my Safari prefrences a million times. But nothing works. Now, still, whenever I go to my search bar, it says, "Search Google or enter an address", but no matter what, it does something with InstallerMac and then proceeds to taking me to Bing. Which I hate. Someone please help me and tell me what I need to do to fix this and get it off my computer.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 5:40 PM

3 replies

Oct 29, 2013 9:06 PM in response to YuliSalazar

To remove the "InstallMac" spyware, start by following the instructions on this page. Back up all data before making any changes. The instructions may not remove the spyware completely.

Back up all data, then remove the "Genieo" spyware by following the instructions on this page.

Some versions of the spyware may not be completely removed by those instructions. If you still have problems, do as follows.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/Frameworks/GenieoExtra.framework

Right-click or control -click the line and select

Services Reveal

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Move the selected item to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator password.

Repeat with each of these lines:

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.genieo.engine.plist

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.genieoinnovation.macextension.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.genieoinnovation.macextension.client.plist

/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.genieoinnovation.macextension.client

Then reboot. Note: Some of these items may be absent, in which case you'll get a message that the file doesn't exist.

From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences Extensions

Uninstall any extension you don't recognize. If in doubt, uninstall all extensions. Do the equivalent for the Firefox and Chrome browsers, if you use either of those.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V). You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

I am being terrorized by InstallerMac and Bing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.