Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text messages randomly disappear/reappear

Hey -

For a while I've been having a problem with my iPhone 3G. All my text messages will disappear from the phone. Sometimes they come back for a short time before disappearing again. While they're invisible, I can't recieve new texts either, and when they come back some (but not all) of the texts I've been sent in the meantime are visible. I've tried restarting the phone in a few different ways, all of the obvious stuff. It's very annoying. I'm probably going to upgrade to an Android device soon, but until then I was wondering if there's any way for me to see my text messages at least vaguely reliably. There's no software update available either; I'm at 6.1.3 which I believe is as far as Apple supports the 3G.

iPhone 3G, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 6:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2017 5:55 AM

I am having this issue as well. It is extremely infuriating and I am so very close to leaving all Apple products behind and go to Android. Even some apps on my phone are losing data. I've backed up phone, made sure latest ios is available and restored, still NOTHING. Extremely mad. Any help or suggest aside from getting a new phone would be very welcomed.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2017 5:55 AM in response to Hailstorm1203

I am having this issue as well. It is extremely infuriating and I am so very close to leaving all Apple products behind and go to Android. Even some apps on my phone are losing data. I've backed up phone, made sure latest ios is available and restored, still NOTHING. Extremely mad. Any help or suggest aside from getting a new phone would be very welcomed.

Jan 22, 2017 6:38 PM in response to MS2017

Phone was frozen. Hard reset done. Opened messages up to respond to a text. ALL TEXT MESSAGES GONE!!! This is infuriating and after reading the above comments, I can't believe people are losing contacts and photos as well. Is this due to a system update? I have tried all suggestions to recover them. No luck. Definitely following this thread!!

Feb 4, 2017 10:00 PM in response to patbull

I haven't considered Android since I've had apple. Since the first iPhone. At this point however my most cherished memories are in my text threads and now they are gone and I under the impression that they won't be coming back. However when I check my settings it still says my messages are taking up 36.64 gb of space. So I'm a little confused.

Feb 5, 2017 8:12 PM in response to IsaiahACH

The same thing happened to me - my phone glitched and I restarted it and all my iMessages were completely gone, and haven't come back. I went to Apple today and got a new phone (they couldn't tell me why that happened) and since then my new iMessage threads appear in a random order - not chronological. When I connected my iCloud account to my new phone the same thing happened and they don't know why. Really annoying. Not sure what to do now - makes me think it's something with iCloud

Jul 12, 2015 8:53 PM in response to dbarbmn

I Too am having this problem with my iPhone 6. It has been happening sporadically across all versions of my old iPhone 4 and iPhone6. I am currently running version 8.3.

It happens randomly; at first it is as though only the iMessages disappear - and only my old TEXT SMS (from 18 months ago), are still present in the messages app, and the phone will freeze and run really slow. After quitting messages app, I go back in and ALL the text messages are gone, and creating a new message does not work.

(unless I go to my contacts, select a person, then click the "message" button). This will bring my friends old messages up - but the rest of the phones messages will have completely disappeared.

turning on/off does nothing - only a hard reset (hold home button and power together) - brings the messages back to normal.

its usually not permanent - only temporary - but it is happening often enough that it's annoying.

further note- I recently got a brand new phone from Apple (due partly to this reoccuring problem). I restored the phone / data from an iCloud backup (NOT computer backup), but it's still occurring now.

COuld it be a software issue? Or maybe an issue with my simcard?

Anyone else having this problem?

Aug 14, 2015 11:26 AM in response to dbarbmn

Its important to understand that some things are not the device/apples fault

Text messages can be one of them

If we're talking about iMessages, then yes it could be a phone issue

No matter what you want to do a few basic troubleshooting steps.

First you want to power the device off with a "hard reset" this is holding the home button and the sleep/wake button at the same time until you see the apple.

If the issue persists go in and turn messaging off, and then back on from within the phone settings/messaging

If the issue still persists, back up the phone and do a restore of the phone.

If the issue persists after the restore of the iphone, i would contact your carrier and let them know its no longer a phone issue.

Apr 27, 2016 12:22 AM in response to dbarbmn

In my personal opinion, it is hardly to recover those deleted files without a backup copy. many other software not developed by apple declared they can recover usually come to a failure. As most of those software render apple's backup data not like computer side data recovery software. Before considering to make an order, it is better to have a test or read some reviews and cautions, like http://www.freeiphonedatarecovery.com mentioned and noticed.

(Disclaimer: I work for the company I mentioned and wrote the help articles contained on the website. So, I stand to benefit, financially or otherwise, from the link I am providing.)

<Link Edited By Host>

Text messages randomly disappear/reappear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.