Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes crashes upon enabling Genius or accessing the store

I'm using Windows 8.1. I don't think I had this issue before updating when 8.1 was released.

Anyway, the title is fairly straightforward. Whenever I go to Store > Turn On Genius, iTunes brings me to the 'sign in to enable genius page'. Upon pressing "Continue", iTunes stops working and crashes.

I tried signing out of my Apple ID, but when iTunes tried to access the store after signing me out, it crashed. It did not sucessfully sign me out, either. I did manage to sign out sucessfully by closing iTunes after it logged me out, but before it loaded the Store page.

Upon further probing, iTunes appears to crash when accessing any internet-related function (i.e. the store, genius, iTunes match, etc.).

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 7:00 PM

3 replies

Oct 29, 2013 8:01 PM in response to Espeon

I did some more digging, and (major props to sysinternals Process Monitor) it appears to crash immediate after this:

User uploaded file(direct link)

This is right after a chain of "QueryNameInformationFile"'s to a series of DLL's, but I've noticed that no matter what way I make iTunes crash, 'C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll' is always the last one read before the process exit.

Oct 30, 2013 2:40 PM in response to Espeon

Well, I tried the usual removal of preferences again (by way of renaming the folder), and now iTunes rashes upon boot. Restoring my preferences does not fix it. I've tried uninstalling everything and reinstalling, but to no avail. I'm currently downloading WinDebug to figure out exactly what's going on right now.

iTunes crashes upon enabling Genius or accessing the store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.