Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What causes duplicates in iPhoto?

Over the last year, several power users in my company have complained about duplicates in iPhoto.

Is there a list of reasons why users get duplicates in iPhoto?

I see tons of products to get rid of duplicates... I am looking for a definitive list of what causes duplicates and how to avoid duplicates.

It's seems funny there are so many products to get rid of duplicate but no solution to prevent duplicates in the first place.

Does anyone know why duplicates occur so often? My users have iPhones and iPads... They are using Photo Stream on the iOS devices but not on their laptops?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ray

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 7:11 PM

8 replies

Oct 30, 2013 12:17 AM in response to RayfromMD

The only reason users have duplicates in iPhoto is that they import duplicates or in some olders versions they use an external editor which makes a duplicate

A common cause is importing automatically via PhotoStream and a second time via a sync. You need to do one or another

Another user error that causes multiple copies (not duplicates) is importing an old library into a new one. You never import an iPhoto libeary

Basically duplicates are causerpd by user error. To identify any specific user error would require all the details about system and exactly what the user has done. There is no general answer since iPhoto does not depuplicate photos, users do.

LN

Nov 6, 2013 6:59 AM in response to LarryHN

Hi Larry,

I agree something is happening on the user end causing the duplicates and identifying the exact cause will take further research.

Its very odd though... on my system if I import from my camera roll, it alerts me that a duplicate exists. Since the user has two devices and is using PhotoStream. Does iPhoto know that the photos on the iPhone and iPad are the same pictures? Do I need to tell the users to only sync their photos manaually with 1 iOS device?

Thanks,

Ray

Nov 6, 2013 10:10 AM in response to RayfromMD

You can use one of these applications to identify and remove duplicate photos from an iPhoto Library:

OT

Dec 8, 2013 11:54 AM in response to Kinoav8r

iPhoto 11 encompasses versions 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.2.3, several 9.3s, several 9.4s and now 9.5. Therefore it's important we know which exact version you have.

With iPhoto 9.0 and later when useing Photoshop or Photoshop Elements as the external iPhoto would create a duplicate copy to use. This was not the case with iPhoto 8 and earlier.

User uploaded file Happy Holidays

What causes duplicates in iPhoto?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.