Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot get progress to show in app store download of Mountain Lion

Having to re-download Mountain Lion on my mid 2009 MBP from overseas. The ML app shows "downloading" in dock with progress bar under it (and just a hint of blue for hours now), but in the App Store on the Purchases tab it just shows the Mountain Lion app with a gray "Download" button. I want to see the progress of the download since I'm overseas and it could take a couple days. If I click on the "Download" button it goes clear for a minute but goes back to the gray "Download". I've tried closing and re-opening App Store, restarting the computer and I've also tried doing it all in Safe Mode. No difference. I can't be sure something is actually happening without a progress meter. Any ideas out there?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 8:21 PM

8 replies

Oct 30, 2013 7:43 AM in response to donell1

I am also experiencing the same issue, with a little more detail. If you click on the "OS X Mountain Lion" app title link on the right, I get this message:

Item Not Available

The item you've requested is not currently available in the U.S. store.

I believe it is related to the fact that Apple is only making OS X Mavericks available for direct purchase in the App Store as of a few days ago. See this article:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/10/24/apple-now-selling-20-mountain-lion-and-lion-red emption-codes-for-older-macs/

However, the article also says that users who previously purchased OS X Mountain Lion (or Lion) should still be able to download it from the App Store. That does not appear to be true, however. I purchased OS X ML via the App Store previously (which is why it shows up in my Purchases), but I can't download it now.

Oct 30, 2013 8:28 AM in response to fritzgreen

Okay, two new discoveries to add to this issue:

1) Apparently, on the 2011 iMac, which came with Lion, on which I've been trying to down ML, even though there is no progress bar to be seen in the App Store, it actually DID download the installer after waiting for a while. The install screen suddenly popped up for me though I wasn't expecting it.

2) On a MacBook Air that came with ML, the download actually works as expected.

Oct 30, 2013 8:35 AM in response to donell1

There may be no apparent "progress bar" in the App Store. It may be a bug associated with this particular download. Unfortunately I am not in a position to determine if this is related to you being overseas or not.

To determine if it is actually downloading use Launchpad. You should see a fairly obvious new icon with an associated progress bar. Make sure you check every Launchpad page by swiping left / right.

The downloaded file will also be in your Applications folder. When it finishes, it looks like this (Mavericks icons are shown; Mountain Lion is similar):

User uploaded file

Check your Downloads folder. Before it finishes downloading, it will have a "progress bar" at the bottom. While it is downloading it looks like this:

User uploaded file

If it's paused, click the icon to restart it.

Once it completes the icon will appear in Applications and Launchpad, it's just easier to find in Launchpad.

Launchpad equivalents:

User uploaded file

When it's finished it looks like this:

User uploaded file

If it really is not downloading read Mac App Store: How to resume interrupted downloads

1. Open the Mac App Store.
  2. From the Store menu, choose Sign In.
  3. Enter your Apple ID and password.
  4. Click Purchases to get to your Purchases Page.
  5. Click the Resume button next to the app name.

If that doesn't work, "sign out" of the App Store, and sign back in again.

If that doesn't work, try restarting your Mac.

If that doesn't work, write back.

Oct 30, 2013 2:37 PM in response to donell1

Well the only thing that has worked for me is to open a Finder window and keep an eye on the "GB Available" number on the bottom bar. I've watched that number decrease steadily and since there is nothing else going on on my mac I know that it is the download taking up those gigs. So far I've "lost" almost 3 GB since I discovered that changing number. My download was disrupted in the night sometime so it stalled and I lost my ML app icon in the dock. I had to restart my mac to get the icon back with the sloooooowly growing blue bar. The blue bar is only half-way across so far though. I thought the download was only like 4 gigs?

Btw, I have no Launchpad anywhere that I can find in my current os. I'm up to Snow Leopard with the combined update that got me the App Store so I could get ML back (which I had to re-purchase).

Oct 30, 2013 2:56 PM in response to John Galt

It doesn't show up in the Downloads folder, probably because it doesn't download from Safari but from the App Store, which is where the "no progress bar" glitch is. I'm hopeful that the download will finish in the next 12 hours. The whole problem started when I downloaded Mavericks (over a couple days I might add) and on the install it failed miserably and I had to wipe my machine and start over from the original install disks. Working my way back up to ML now so I can restore from Time Machine. 😢

Feb 5, 2014 7:45 PM in response to donell1

Despite the error message, if you have purchased Lion or Mountain Lion you can install it through the app store. But as mentioned, when you click the Download button there is often no indication that anything is happening ... but it probably is.

One good way I found to monitor whether Lion is downloading is to open activity monitor and click the network tab. You should see the activity pretty high depending on your connection speed and you can follow the progress of the download (as long as you aren't doing any other network related activity such as browsing the internet). When you see it get to about 5 GB of data transfered, you are about done and the lion installer should launch automatically when it finishes

Cannot get progress to show in app store download of Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.