Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where should I set up my FTP server if I have no money to spend? I would prefer if someone answers this quickly as I want this site up and running soon.

Where should I set up my FTP server if I have no money to spend? I would prefer if someone answers this quickly as I want this site up and running soon.

iWeb '08, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 7:44 PM

4 replies

Oct 30, 2013 1:36 AM in response to Rosy4

Do a Google search and you will find that there are plenty of free web hosts.

If you have internet access, then your provider may offer free web space that you can use to host a site or alternatively you can host your site on your own Mac by using web sharing.

Suggest you do a full search of this forum where you will find topics on this, which are many and then do a Google search for free web hosts.

Oct 30, 2013 1:20 PM in response to Ethmoid

Ethmoid is right... There ARE free web hosts, but... as the old saying goes "You get what you pay for" and if you pay nothing?

Most free web hosts are riddled with ads, and some are even hosts to malware. DO YOUR RESEARCH before committing to anything.

While some ISP's do provide free hosting, there are limitations with many of them, such as monthly bandwidth and file storage. You may not be able to get your whole site upto the server (depending on how big it is), or it may be down several days a month due to "excessive" traffic. Again - DO YOUR RESEARCH before committing to anything.

There are also a lot of services that run in the range of $4-7 a month for feature filled, bandwidth enabled hosting. Dreamhost is offering two domains for $3.95 a month right now. I use ICDSoft (have since 2003) and they're $7 a month, but they offer a lot for that.

Lastly, you want to look at SUPPORT. If your site goes down, and your "free" host is nowhere to be found.... It's as bad as having no site at all, if you cant get it fixed and no one can access your URL for days on end.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.