Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

13" Macbook Pro Retina Specs? i5 vs i7? 4gb vs. 8gb vs. 16gb?

im not sure if i can upload these kind of questions, but i might as well give it a try. i need as many GOOD feedbacks as possible.

ok heres the thing..

I'm planning to buy a 2013 13" Macbook Pro with Retina Display soon. This will be my 2nd mac laptop after i sold my other one early because my car broke down early this year. Once i buy my mac i'm planning on keeping for well over 6 years and a little over 10 years hopefully.

Please don't tell me that computers will break down eventually because i am also somewhat tech savvy and take good care of my electronics. in fact, I first macbook ran very well that i was planning on keeping for a very long time as usual with apple products. unfortunately i had to sell it because my car broke down and needed the immediate cash at that time. 😟

This is very important to me for my future as im also still in school trying to finish up. So I'm asking as many different opinions as possible and please be specific. for ex.: You should get the i7 since it will benefit you for the long term and you will feel the big difference even in small internet tasks and watching HD movies.

don't just say get an i5 for example, tell me your opinion why certain specs will be good enough than the other. Simply, Compare and contrast.

I know this was long but i'll get the point of the question..

My main question #1: Are there big differences between the new Haswell i5 2.4Ghz & an i7 2.8Ghz for what I do on the computer?

My main Question #2: Is it worth getting 4gb ram or 16gb ram?

To Finalize: Are all these worth my money for what I am going to use it for and length of time?

here are the list of models..#1 specs indicates my first choice whether or not it will be worth my money? (If its worth it, I am willing to spend up to almost 2k.)

1) 13" Macbook Pro Retina 2013

Haswell Intel Core i7 2.8 Ghz 16GB DDR3 Ram, & 128 SSD

Price: $1,899 (Configured & Shipped)

2) 13" Macbook Pro Retina 2013

Haswell Intel Core i5 2.4 Ghz 4GB DDR3 Ram, & 128 SSD

Price: $1,299 (In Store)

FYI: I am fully aware that the new retinas are non-configurable in the future which I'm totally fine with it.

Ok heres how i'll be using my macbook..

Internet, movie/tv show streaming, some light media downloads for entertainments for personal pleasure, watching 1080p movies and shows. (I multi task a lot too, but I never game nor i use photoshop and other intensive applications.) i very rarely sometimes use photoshop though but it would be just merely just for fun and messing around.

as for school and other work related usages are...

im a sociology major and plan on teaching elementary level kids in the future and maybe? open a small business with my own specialties but teaching would be my main long term goal.

I look in the long term and i want a quite speedy computer. I fully know the base model is also more than enough i need but once again for the speed. plus, smallest 128 SSD is always enough for me so no worries about storage space.

once again i need as many GOOD feedbacks as possible as this is important to me and my budget. and please be specific of what you say. thanks 🙂

So would the #1 choice of my macbook pro be totally worth my 2ks? Are there a huge difference between an i5 2.4 & i7 2.8 that i will totally feel while using my mac on a daily basis?

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 9:41 PM

23 replies

Oct 30, 2013 6:20 AM in response to dlqhdus86

I have the same question.

I don't need or want the performance grunt of the 15" models and I prefer the smaller size of the 13" (I travel and work away a lot).

256gb storage is adequate for me, so I have my eye on the mid range 13" that Apple are offering (2.4GHz i5, 8GB, 256gb). Are the processor upgrades (2.6GHz i5 or 2.8GHz i7) and a memory boost to 16GB worth the extra money? I can afford both upgrades but is it overkill (especially 16GB memory), given that the integrated graphics may limit performance before the standard 8GB RAM ever does?

Please bear in mind, I am not very computer savvy (just going by what I've read on the internet and some advice from an Apple genius in store) so please feel free to correct me if any of the above is wrong?!

Thanks

Oct 30, 2013 11:30 AM in response to dlqhdus86

My plan is to buy the 2.4GHZ with 256 SSD and 16GB of RAM, as suggested in a couple of different places:

http://blog.macsales.com/20816-owcs-definitive-quick-guide-to-making-the-most-of -2013-macbook-pro-with-retina-display/comment-page-1

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/10/this-is-the-macbook-pro-to-buy/

I am also interested in computer longevity (believe it or not, I've stretched using my souped-up eight-year-old powerbook until now--well, with the use of my wife's computer for video streaming). The 16GB RAM might be overkill, but I've found that more RAM extends the life of computers, and in this case you can't add it later (annoyingly!). It's true that Mavericks reduces RAM usage, but two or three operating systems from now and new applications...at some point, you're going to want the extra RAM unless you buy a new computer every two or three years.

On the other hand, the processor speed differences aren't that much for dual-core 13" chips and it's an expensive computer, so if you need real speed you should get the 15". If you had to do a lot of video processing on a 13", it might be worth the extra dough--I doubt it would be worth it for most people.

I'm interested in what others have to say, though, since I won't be buying one for a couple of months.

Oct 31, 2013 2:44 AM in response to js32

Thanks js32, those links are helpful.

I get the impression from reading around that bumping up from the 2.4 GHz to the 2.6 GHz i5, or even the i7 is probably not worth it. The real gains come when moving to quad-core.

I want this laptop to function comfortably (on normal everyday tasks like web, mail, office, and occasional photo editing) for 5 years or more. I'd like to think the mid range 13" rMBP will be capable of this.

Oct 31, 2013 7:53 AM in response to matt_82

Er, yeah. It sounds like you maybe want to do more than "occasional photo editing" and office-like applications when you are asking that kind of question. If you need to do serious graphic and video work into the future, you would want a powerful desktop or at least a machine with a discrete graphics processor and quad-core, like the 15".

Oct 31, 2013 8:26 AM in response to js32

js - I think it's just my ignorance shining through - I had assumed 4K just meant a higher resolution monitor than the one Apple currently offer, but it sounds like a whole different kettle of fish.

I am wondering whether to go 13" and get an 27" external monitor to go with it, hence the question about monitors. I would like to watch HD video and do some limited photo editing (using photoshop but not huge numbers of photos - I'm generally happy just using light room or aperture most of the time), so a the external monitor is on my mind.

Cheers

Oct 31, 2013 8:45 AM in response to matt_82

I've had the Apple Thunderbolt Display for over a year now. I bought it because I could afford it (unlike some Eizo monitors that I would have loved to have had) and because it functioned as a good 'hub' for my late 2011 15" MacBook Pro. 4K monitors have to have video cards that will actually drive a 4K monitor and, thus far, the Mac Pro is the only announced model from Apple that has the necessary graphic cards to utilize a 4K monitor. And although there are a few cheap 4K monitors available, most good ones seem to start at $3,500 and just go higher from there.

Here's a question I was asking myself when I watched the October 22nd event -> http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-10/23/4k-thunderbolt-display.

There are many, many very good 27" monitors out there. I'm pleased with what the ATD has done for me for the past year, but because it's so limited as a hub now, I wouldn't buy one right now. It's just antiquated. And too expensive compared to what's out there now. I was hoping to see two new monitors from Apple on Oct. 22nd - one a 'updated' model of the Thunderbolt and a 4K monitor for the Mac Pro.

Maybe one day...

Clinton

Oct 31, 2013 11:41 AM in response to dlqhdus86

It IS a higher resolution monitor, but--as Clinton says--one that most computers won't support. Right now, I believe it's mostly a standard for shooting or projecting digital cinema, etc.

On the graphics thing, though, I would be interested to know whether anyone who had bought the new RMBP had noticed any issues with the Retina screen that related to having the lowest-powered (2.4ghz) chip. It's not supposed to. However, I know that there were complaints about last year's model that suggested (other than the image retention problems that they have hopefully fixed) that there was jerkinesss/slowness/frame-skipping on the 13-inch model because the processor wasn't really adequate to the task. Supposedly, this has been solved with Iris Graphics and Haswell, but if it hasn't, that could justify the cost of bumping up the processor. Again, all reports so far say the 2.4ghz Haswell is fine--otherwise, bumping up the both the RAM and the processor would put it into the is-it-really-worth-it-for-the-price category (at least for me).

Oct 31, 2013 12:08 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

Right, there's also this review in Macworld:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2059045/13-inch-retina-macbook-pro-review-thinne r-lighter-and-faster-never-hurts.html

Annoyingly, though, they compare the bottom model (2.4ghz, 128SSD, 4GB RAM) to the "top" standard model (2.6ghz, 256SSD, 8GB RAM). As they point out, some of the speed differences relate to the write speeds of the smaller SSD, so it's hard to know whether the processor alone is responsible for a substantial performance difference, or whether it relates more to SSD size/kind and RAM. I wish they had included the "middle" model on all of their speed tests.

Of course, there is going to be some speed difference, but as you can see with Geekbench markers, the difference between the processors in the 13" pales in comparison to the difference between dual- and quad-core processors (click on the "multi-core" tab for the real speed comparison).

http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

13" Macbook Pro Retina Specs? i5 vs i7? 4gb vs. 8gb vs. 16gb?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.