Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing color profile (if any) from over-exposed Canon 5D mov file's

I am working with some footage from a cameraman's Canon 5D, they are in mov format, but I am having a problem when I import them to FCP (they look the same way when I play them in QT too).

The color saturation is extremely high, and I know it was not filmed that way on set, I want to know if there is some color profile in the mov files that Canon 5D's record and if so how do I remove them?

Basically everything looks way over-exposed and I know the 5D is not that poor of quality.

Final Cut Studio '09, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 29, 2013 9:30 PM

26 replies

Oct 29, 2013 10:00 PM in response to SandraLAVixen

SandraLAVixen wrote:

I am working with some footage from a cameraman's Canon 5D, they are in mov format,

Mov is a container and tells very little about the files it contains. In the FCP Browser, select a problematic source file by clicking on it, and once it is selected, type Command + 9 to see the item properties for the clip. Either report those properties here, or take a screen shot of the item properties and post that screen shot here.

I am having a problem when I import them to FCP (they look the same way when I play them in QT too).

Not a good sign.

The color saturation is extremely high, and I know it was not filmed that way on set,

How do you know this?

Basically everything looks way over-exposed and I know the 5D is not that poor of quality.

Unless the files were recorded over-exposed.

How did you get the files from the camera to your computer, and ingested in FCP?

Is the problem specific to one camera?

Do you have other material from the shoot that looks normal?

MtD

Oct 29, 2013 10:16 PM in response to SandraLAVixen

>Basically everything looks way over-exposed and I know the 5D is not that poor of quality.

The camera isn't responsible for the quality...the camera operator is. Put a RED camera, or high end film camera in the hands of an amateur, and you'll get poor quality imagery. Put a DV camera in the hands of a skilled DP, and you get great images (see 28 DAYS LATER...it was shot on DV). If the image is over exposed...the DP could have shot it over exposed.

Oct 30, 2013 2:27 AM in response to Meg The Dog

Below is the FCP info from one of the video files:

User uploaded file

It appearently uses the h.264 codec for the video stream.

I know that the picture was not over saturated during the shoot because we reviewed it then on set, but now it looks different.

I even put both my arms on my camera guy's shoulder and looked him square in the eyes and told him that "the Canon 5D has a reputation for being over-exposed and over-saturated, I want under-exposed, make sure you pay attention to that and review every shot". (don't worry I was being nice to him, we're friends). 🙂

I should mention one more thing, when I place the video in a sequence on FCP's timeline, sometimes when I apply affects to it and forget to render it, there is a moment when the video looks properly exposed and then goes back to looking over-exposed when I quickly run the scrubber over it and not let FCP a chance to display properly.

So I know, or at least have reason to believe there is a color profile in there somewhere that is causing it to look over-exposed and over-saturated. I just can't get rid of it.

Oct 30, 2013 4:05 AM in response to SandraLAVixen

Hi Sandra,

Convert your footage to Pro Res and then import into FCP, H264 doesn't work too well with FCP. Which 5D did you use? ml1 mk2 m111? I.m not sure if Log and Transfer works with the Mk111 maybe someone will chip in here.

Having said all this, the original footage should look ok in Quicktime Player if indeed it was shot correctly, are you using QT7 player ?

DM

Oct 30, 2013 10:15 AM in response to SandraLAVixen

The H.264 codec is not helping anything, and as Mr. Mclaine suggests, should be converted to an FCP friendly format such as ProRes for use in FCP7.

As to your color problem, I am wondering if you are using the incorrect term when describing the video as appearing "over exposed". Does it look like the color is very saturated, and extremely contrasty (solid, opaque blacks)?

If so in FCP7 go to the Final Cut Pro > System Settings and on the Playback Control Tab, set the Gamma Correction to Approximate.

User uploaded file

MtD

Oct 30, 2013 2:11 PM in response to Meg The Dog

Yes I did convert to prores 422, I always convert to that before working on it in FCP.

I also tried setting the Gamma Correction to Approximate in the FCP System Settings but its still over-saturated.

No, it's not SO oversaturated that it looks blocky, but it's still "so" oversaturated that you can tell something is wrong.

Again, if I put a (or serveral) filters in the timeline with the clip in question, do NOT render it, and run the scrubber over it really quick so that FCP does not have enough time to display it properly, there is a millisecond when a frame of that clip IS drawn properly (with the same exposure appearance during review when we shot it).

So that gives me a hint that for some reason FCP (and every other viewer) is displaying those Canon clips with some kind of color filter applied.

PS the Canon is a MK2 I think.

I have other clips from other types of cameras that do not have the same problem, eg XDCAM and a really old Sony non-professional cam. They also have footage from that same day, reviewed and displayed on the same monitor that day, and the clips from those do not have over-saturation now.

Nov 6, 2013 6:40 AM in response to SandraLAVixen

There are (at least) two issues here.

1. On set, was the material reviewed on a calibrated monitor? Or the view screen of the camera?

2. Your computer screen is not really all that wonderful a vehicle for judging color fidelity. Do you have a reference monitor (FSI, Sony, Panasonic, etc) being driven by a qualified output device (Blackmagic Intensity, AJA Kona, Matrox Mxo, etc) ?

Unless you are viewing material on screens that are accurate (meet reference standards), you can be chasing your tail on this.

x

Nov 6, 2013 4:38 PM in response to Jim Cookman

Here are the vector scopes, the first one below is a control clip from the XDCAM that took the shot perfectly and the video displays correctly in FCP.

User uploaded file

This second one is the problem clip from the Canon 5D, the one with over saturation and over exposure.

User uploaded file

You will notice a lot of green in both, that is because it was shot in a green screen with two actors. in each clip. The problem clip from the Canon 5D also had problems keying, even with Motions Primate RT filter (the XDCAM clip had no problems).

Nov 6, 2013 5:36 PM in response to Shane Ross

What might not be appearent in the histogram, is that whites are very white and blacks are very black in the problem clip.

Is that a sign of over exposure? under exposed (or "desired" exposed in this case) you would see more of a "grey" distribution? More colors in the middle of the band.

The problem is that many of the colors in the problem clip went off the scale, like if you did a threshold b&w (not that extreme of course but just saying).

Removing color profile (if any) from over-exposed Canon 5D mov file's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.