Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 6.1 Breaks Java at the USPTO Again!

We have to login to the USPTO website using their custom encyrption that relies on Java operating properly.

The latest version of Safari has broken the USPTO java applete that is executed.

The Load File window to select the location of the digital certificate is broken.

The folder icons have the "not" symbol on them and no file is present in the selection window even though their clearly are files save in the folder.

It looks like Apple did not thoroughly test the latest version of Safari again.

This seems to happen everytime there is a Safari update.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 12:11 AM

4 replies

Oct 30, 2013 1:44 AM in response to Lukcresdera

OK. I figured this out.

Safari 6.1 upgrade changed my secuirty settings.

I had to go back into Security Preferenes and select the Manage Websites button.

I then updated the security settings for the USPTO web pages to run in "unsafe mode" so that the USPTO java applette had access to my files on my computer.

It can now gain access to the digital certificate file.

I can see how many users are going to have problems.

I wish Apple would have warned us that we would have to update our security settings after this upgrade.

Oct 31, 2013 12:11 PM in response to Lukcresdera

Thanks! This fixed my problem with a site having a similar problem to yours. Changing the selction to "Run in unsafe mode" results in the following message appearing at the bottom of the preferences window:

"Java is set to run in unsafe mode for some websites. Plug-ins in unsafe mode can access your documents and data."

- Exactly what I want it to do! For the specific site. Others, not so much.

Nov 13, 2013 1:49 PM in response to Lukcresdera

PJ\'sPal wrote:

OK. I figured this out.

Safari 6.1 upgrade changed my secuirty settings.

I had to go back into Security Preferenes and select the Manage Websites button.

I then updated the security settings for the USPTO web pages to run in "unsafe mode" so that the USPTO java applette had access to my files on my computer.

It can now gain access to the digital certificate file.

I can see how many users are going to have problems.

I wish Apple would have warned us that we would have to update our security settings after this upgrade.

Just installed Java 7, Update 45 to my iMac running Mavericks. After installing Java, I configured my Safari settings as PJ noted above, and it worked, giving the computer access to my folder that contains my encrypted key to the USPTO site. I can now access Private PAIR and the EFS web filing service!

Thanks to PJ!

Safari 6.1 Breaks Java at the USPTO Again!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.