Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Netflix on iPad 1

Is there anyway to get the net flix app on iPad 1 running 5.1.1 as that is the maximum update I can get for this iPad?

iPad, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 4:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 5:49 AM

All apps are tied to the account that downloads them, so you would need to have your own copy of a iOS 5.1.1 compatible-version somewhere - did you download it when it was compatible with iOS 5.1.1 and still have it somewhere ?

21 replies

Oct 30, 2013 6:05 AM in response to Niallfromgbr

Only the current version of each app is in the store, so you won't be able to download a 5.1.1 compatible version from there (unless the developers of the app change its requirements or put an older version back in the store) - and as each app is tied to the account that downloads it nobody will be able to give you a copy as it will be tied to their account. You could try contacting Netflix and see if they have any plans to do put a 5.1.1 compatible version back in the store : https://contactus.netflix.com/help

Nov 5, 2013 11:45 AM in response to Niallfromgbr

Just ran into this with a client of mine.

Since the release of iOS 7, Apple has quietly added a new feature to the App Store. When you connect to it on the device in question, running iOS 6 or IOS 5, (not sure about iOS 4 yet) and you click on an app that has been around since those older IOS's, the store will tell you:

"Download an older version of this app? The current version requires iOS 6 or later, but you can download the last compatible version."

Click Download and all is good. You are now running the last version they made for iOS 5.

What is not clear is if you had to have purchased it previously or not. I have heard yes and no from others.

I aready had downloaded Netflix long ago. I just now deleted it from my iPad 1st gen. I then went back into the App store and downloaded it with the above message popping up.

Keep in mind, you have to do this on the iPad itself. If you download it in iTunes on your Mac or PC, you will only get the current version.

I just wish Apple would release a tech note or anything explaining exactly how this works and what iOS versions are ssupported.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Nov 10, 2013 10:39 AM in response to Mike Richards1

I can confirm that the Apple ID must own the app before you can get the iTunes store to let you download the older version of e.g. Netflix.

The work around for that is to sign into a copy of iTunes software on a desktop/laptop with the Apple ID you're using on the iPad 1 and download a copy of the Netflix App to the computer from the App Store in iTunes desktop. Then, you can got to the App Store pn the iPad 1 and it will offer to allow you to download the older but compatible version.

-Gene

Dec 29, 2013 8:57 AM in response to cleverlyl

Purchased applications are tied to the Apple ID account. You just said that your wife's ID was new. So there is no purchase history on her account.

It took me days to figure this out. You have to have purchsed, even if it is free, the app using the same Apple ID on a newer iDevice or Mac/PC. Then use that same ID on the old iPad 1.

Is this a perfect, seemless way to do this? No, but far from FAIL.

Jan 5, 2014 10:31 AM in response to lobsterghost1

No need to be snarky rbrylawski.

Tips for others trying to solve the same problem. I followed all the instructions and still couldn't get it to work. It turns out there are some conflicts with permissions if you set restrictions. If you remove all restrictions, then it will work, but will just have a grayed out icloud icon if you don't have the restrictions removed.

Once restrictions were removed, you can click on the ipad after installing on itunes, then search for "not on ipad" for netflix. Clicking on the cloud icon (no longer grayed) will prompt you with the steps above.

Netflix on iPad 1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.