Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

preview slow in Mavericks

Since upgrading to Mavericks, Preview is messed up. Just opening a simple PDF unveils the "beach ball of death" while I wait up to a minute to see the PDF displayed. This is definitely a problem as we navigate thousands of PDFs in a paperless office. Preview used to be so snappy that it put Adobe Acrobat to shame - no more. Any suggestions?

OS X Mavericks (10.9), Preview

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 4:55 AM

39 replies

Oct 30, 2013 5:04 AM in response to rjsphoto85

1. how full is your hard drive?
  2. how much RAM do you have?
  3. what other apps do you have running when you are trying to run Preview?
  4. Take a look at Activity Monitor (it's in Utilities) and see if something is using excessive amounts of RAM or CPU.
  5. Try a safe boot (hold down shift and restart) : Mac OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode? . If this works, it means that the problem is with some third-party software you have installed.
  6. Try a test user account: Isolating an issue by using another user account .
  7. Do you have any "optimizers", "cleaners", "defragmenters", antivirus software, or any other crapware installed? These may be the problem.
  8. Boot into your recovery partition (hold down ⌘R at restart until you see the Apple symbol), go to Disk Utility, and repair your hard drive. While you're there, repair permissions too. OSX Tips Using the Recovery HD

Oct 30, 2013 5:29 AM in response to arthur

Arthur - thanks for your thorough and helpful suggestions, but:

1. 250 GB available on my 500 GB flash drive

2. 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM

3. Many - I am always running multiple apps on multiple screens - have been for years

4. Nothing unusual here - other apps, which require more processor power, run fine.

5-6. I think I would only try these time consuming tasks if I was having problems across apps - not that they are bad suggestions.

7. No, I have never used any of that.

8. Similar feelings as to comments on 5-6; did repair permissions (not using recovery partition) but they were minor fixes. Disk verified fine.

I'm running a 15" MacBook Pro Retina 2.7 GHz i7 with 16 GB RAM and a SSD, which is less than a year old so I don't think it is a power issue or a disk issue.

Sorry, I shoud mention that this doesn't happen all the time; it is random and I haven't found a pattern yet. The same PDF can hang one time and later open fine.

Oct 30, 2013 6:23 AM in response to rjsphoto85

I am having what I think might be a related problem. I have OS Server and run a very small private Wiki. I have noticed that .xls and .xlsx files will now not preview on the wiki pages after my upgrade to Mavericks. I have looked hard for info on how to fix this but there is scant documentation. I have also done the permissions check (originally thought that it might be caused by permissions being messed up in the wiki content folders) and disk verify.

My suspicion is that QuickView is somehow not working for some file types.

Oct 30, 2013 12:50 PM in response to Ricardoyak

Ric: To avoid confusion you should probably start a separate thread.

Back to RJS: I'd still give safe mode a try. Doesn't take very long. Only as long as it takes for your mac to start up. Could be informative. And some errant third party software could just be affecting one app (like Preview) and not causing system-wide problems.

My only other thought would be to delete and reinstall Preview. You could download and run the Mavericks installer again, which includes Preview. The OS reinstall is often a blunt but effective tool for an otherwise misbehaving app.

Another option would be to use Pacifist to extract the Preview installer from the Mavericks installer, and then just reinstall Preview. Pacifist is at CharlesSoft — software you always wished someone would write

Nov 15, 2013 9:02 AM in response to rjsphoto85

Having same issue... image previews are super slow. Have a 1 week old fully loaded MBP Retina, thought it was the machine but tried some images on my 2 yr old MBA with Mavericks had the same issue.

Also sometimes when I click on a folder in the finder or an Open dialogue box it will not display the contents of the folder, get the grey spinning disk icon in the corner of the window and just have to wait until/if the contents load. Guessing it's related to the image preview issue.

Went to Genius Bar yesterday, fixed all permissions, they could not figure it out either.

Nov 15, 2013 9:39 AM in response to Dickie7

Same over here > ARW files (raw from Sony A77) is very slow since Mavericks update! Can not work this way!

My question: I did email this "bug" to Apple Support > no reply. Several Apple Forums > no reply.

Why doesn't Apple answer anywhere, that they are aware of this problem and will try to fix this issue as soon as possible??

Are we not the ones paying (a lot) for there products?

Please Apple Support > do your work > and respond to our questions!

preview slow in Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.