Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

changes to sorting on numbers

With the Maveric upgrade, we cannot categorize or sort just a section of a table. ANyone knows how to do it?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 5:49 AM

13 replies

Nov 5, 2013 11:55 AM in response to Jerrold Green1

I've left feedback about this, but I guess I'm headed back to Excel. This function was critical to what I'm using Numbers for at this point. I can understand changing an interface if you think you have a better way to do someting, but to completely remove a function that has existed for some time seems strange to me. Numbers can make pretty presentations of information, but if it can't perform the underlying functions that one needs, what's the point.

Nov 5, 2013 12:44 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

I updated my post to say that I found the "old" Numbers and was able to launch it, but unfortunately I'm not connected to my Time Machine backup drive at the moment, and I didn't make a copy of the file before I opened it. I was able to copy and paste the table from the "new" Numbers into the old Numbers.

I started using Numbers about two years ago. There are things I like about it and things I don't. For me, figuring out how to consistently format borders in cells is much easier in Excel than in Numbers. But Excel doesn't have checkboxes or the new "stars" cell formatting.

I worked at Apple for about ten years in about five different jobs. I love Apple and I'm not a big fan of Microsoft. That said, Apple is a product/tech driven company and Microsoft is a customer driven company. Other than the sales folks that have to deal directly with customers, Apple doesn't really care much about what existing customers really want and need. Microsoft does. MS would never make a change to Excel that dropped functionality that might affect people's ability to get their work done — certainly not without a warning. But this isn't the place to make that argument, so I'll drop it here and take it to the feedback section.

Nov 5, 2013 2:46 PM in response to Joe Bishop

I didn't make a copy of the file before I opened it. I was able to copy and paste the table from the "new" Numbers into the old Numbers.

Joe,

Just in case you have other documents you've opened in Numbers 3.0 that you want to take back to Numbers 2.3, you don't necessarily have to resort to copy and paste. You can export the document back to Numbers 2.3 format:

User uploaded file

I don't look at this as Apple taking stuff away. I still have my Numbers 2.3 (and Excel). And now I have a new Numbers, for free, that is making life easier in other ways, in particular showing work via cloud sharing or tablet rather than having to print out a whole bunch of stuff and carry it around. Of course, you are right that Apple maybe has too much of an attitude that it knows what most of us really want before we even know.🙂

SG

Nov 8, 2013 8:09 AM in response to jaimster620

Looks as if there has been enough feedback that Apple is going to restore some of the functionality they didn't have time to include in iWork if they wanted to make the announce deadline.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Apple-Backpedals-on-Decision-to-Remove-iWork-Feat ures-398037.shtml

and

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/11/06/apple-promises-iwork-toolbars-other-le gacy-features-will-return-within-6-months

Multi-column sorting in Numbers appears to be on the list.

Would it have killed them to have this announcement ready to go at launch and put up a disclaimer for existing users so they could wait for the changes before executing the upgrade or at least pointing out that the older versions would still be there and where to look? 😉

Nov 8, 2013 8:19 AM in response to Joe Bishop

Would it have killed them to have this announcement ready to go at launch and put up a disclaimer for existing users so they could wait for the changes before executing the upgrade or at least pointing out that the older versions would still be there and where to look? 😉

Would have been nice, wouldn't it! Especially since many people who use their phones and tablets just assume that upgrading means the old version is gone on the Mac too.

Thanks for posting the links. Here's Apple's announcement itself. I choose to interpret it as saying we can expect several releases in coming months and won't have to wait until May. But I'm an optimist in these things.🙂

SG

changes to sorting on numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.