Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3 no longer supported?!

I have had to replace the HD on may MBP and now I find that the download version of Aperture is no longer available and I'm told I must buy it again from the app store. 😠

Surely this is not legal under Apple's own terms and conditions? Aperture 3 is the current version and I have a valid licence but because I downloaded it before the AppStore existed it is no longer supported. I have not recieved a notification or warning of this change or any crossgrade offers. Must I really purchase it again if I want to re-install after a valid problem?!

Surely this software must be available as a download until Aperture 4.0 appears or there is a crossgrade option to use the AppStore version in the meanwhile.

I'm really upset, I love using Aperture but if this is the end of the line I'll have to use Lightroom. 😟

Help?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Late 2008 model 4Gb RAM

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 6:57 AM

10 replies

Oct 30, 2013 7:37 AM in response to emyr

Where are you looking for a download version of Aperture? If you originally bought Aperture as a download before the Mac App Store and you have a valid serial number you can download it from Aperture 3 Trail

Once it is downloaded and installed but before you actually run it do a software update to bring it up to the latest version for your system.

Forget all that that link doesn;t seem to be valid anymore.

Oct 30, 2013 7:45 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Thanks, already tried that and I just get a 177kb dmg file which will not open giving the message in the screenshot:

User uploaded file

I have tred it for every version from 3 to 3.5 at the end of the URL but none of them work and the Apple page just states (seehttp://www.apple.com/aperture/trial/):

User uploaded file

Surely this cannot be! Apple must offer something until Aperture 3 is no longer supported?

I'm in a blind alley!

Oct 30, 2013 7:45 AM in response to emyr

Looks like you are in a bit of a pickle. If you still had Aperture installed on your disk the Mac App Store would see it and switch you over to the MAS version of Aperture. But as you no longer have it on the disk the MAS has no way of knowing that you own it.

If you have no backup to restore it from then call Apple Sales Support at 1-800-692-7753 and explain the situation.

Oct 30, 2013 8:02 AM in response to emyr

I tried that a long time ago and I did not have the option to switch to the AppStore version. As far as I can see there is no crossgrade to the MAS Aperture, much though I would like to have it.

If you upgrade to Mavericks, you should be able to upgrade your current Aperture 3 version and transfer it to an App Store licence. The policy has recently changed - that's what Frank Caggiano meant - see:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5975

Do you have a Time Machine backup? Then you could restore your current Aperture version from the backup temporarily and reinstall from the AppStore after upgrading to Mavericks.

Oct 30, 2013 8:03 AM in response to léonie

If you upgrade to Mavericks, you should be able to upgrade your current aperture 3 version and transfer it to an App Store licence.

Seems to work even on Mountain Lion.

My ML system also now shows Aperture is bought from the MAS. If I click install on ML I get an alert telling me 3.5 needs Mavericks and asking if I want to load an older version suitable for my current OS.

Aperture 3 no longer supported?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.