Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

alfUIplugin.plugin cant find any information about this - worried

alfUIplugin.plugin show errors in my console, I have search the web for this information but come up none

worry now..anyone know about this and where it may have come from.

thanks

LE

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 7:17 AM

2 replies

Nov 20, 2013 2:00 PM in response to Lady Engineer

I too am seeing those errors after updating to Mavericks on my MacBook Pro. And, I cannot find any info on what alfUIplugin.plugin is either. However, upon going to /System/Library/UserEventPlugins folder, I noticed that the plugin file is 0KB. On my Mac Pro, which is still running Mountain Lion, it is 20KB and on Snow Leopard it's like 50KB.

I opened the Package contents (of the afUIplugin.plugin) under Mountain Lion and see it has something to do with Apple Firewall or UserAgent. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but at least I can see it's an Apple-related file.

The curious thing is, why is it 0KB in Mavericks? I did a clean-install of Mavericks on an empty external hard drive to see if perhaps my upgrade from Mountain Lion to Mavericks got messed up. On my clean-install of Mavericks it's still 0KB and it still shows the errors in the console:

UserEventAgent: Failed to copy info dictionary for bundle /System/Library/UserEventPlugins/alfUIplugin.plugin

which I suppose is because it's an empty file and there's nothing to load.

I guess it's not hurting anything, but I hate having my logs fill up with garbage... And then there's the question of why is this file 0KB now?

I also noticed a bunch of other alerts like:

"Configuration Notice: ASL Module "com.apple.appstore" claims selected messages. Those message may not appear in standard system log files or in the ASL database."

The same is repeated for com.apple.authd, com.apple.bookstore, com.apple.eventmonitor, com.apple.securityd and others.

Does anyone know what Those are? I thought they were related to the alfUI thingie, since they didn't happen until I updated to Mavericks, but I am now thinking it's actually unrelated... (Maybe it has to do with Notifcation Center items?).

I hope that helps. Hopefully someone else will reply with more info on what ALF is (alf.kext seems to be related as well).

May 18, 2014 5:47 AM in response to Lady Engineer

Hi LE and JMo, I was chasing this down myself. It looks like this plugin is used for ALF - Application Level Firewall. ... like the System Preferences/security setting/firewall possibly.

Not sure if this is the resolution you want, however.. you lads can chase it further if you like and post back.

If you browse quickview /usr/libexec/ApplicationFirewall/com.apple.alf.plist you will notice structure and defs in there for many of the usual FILE SHARING protocols, and some domains and protocols...

I chased this down to for the purposes resovling the origin of the system.log message "May 16 09:08:15 rendernode-02.local UserEventAgent[387]: Failed to copy info dictionary for bundle /System/Library/UserEventPlugins/alfUIplugin.plugin" .This message appears on all our Macs

I'll leave it with you. It looks harmless at this stage. I'll let you know should I pursue it further in earnest

Let me know if this was of any help.

Post you results for others to see

Warwick

Hong Kong

alfUIplugin.plugin cant find any information about this - worried

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.