Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages to Dropbox

So since the last update to Pages, I have noticed I can directly put files into Dropbox app on my iPad mini. However, when I go to open the file (saved as a .docx) I am unable to view the file in dropbox. It just shows a message saying what kind of file. Office Open KML (?) or something like that. I have no problem opening other word documents that were placed into the dropbox folder from my computer though.

Even doing the old email it to myself then open in dropbox doesn't work. More of Apple being Apple and wanting you to only use their products?

iPad mini Wi-Fi

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 7:38 AM

15 replies

Nov 22, 2013 8:20 AM in response to Jack_024

I have a similar problem, without exporting the file as a .docx file. I write a new pages document using the the updated pages and save it to Dropbox. From my Mac I have no problem retrieving the document to work on it, however on my iDevices (iPhone (5) and iPad (2)), when I open Dropbox, the document doesn't even exist. There is nothing to open. The only way I can retrieve the document to open from iDevices is to export it from the Mac to Dropbox as a Pages '09 file. That file is visible and retrievable.

Nov 29, 2013 2:22 PM in response to hdh15

Pages 2.0.1 on iOS and Pages 5.0 on OS X use a new and different file format to the old iOS and OSX Pages, and Dropbox does not recognise documents created in this new file format. It can't open them, it can only open Pages documents stored in the old Pages 09 format (or Word's .doc or .docx format of course).

The new OS X Pages 5.0 allows you to export documents in the old Pages 09 format, but the new iOS version of Pages does not, it only supports the new document format.

Whether Dropbox will be able to reverse engineer the new Pages document format and add support for it to their iOS app is an open question at the moment. As far as I'm aware Apple have not published the details of the new Pages file format anywhere so it would have to be reverse-engineered by third party developers from scratch. How many will go to this trouble?

Btw the same applies to the new versions of the other iWork apps - Keynote and Numbers - they all use a new file format that is different to the previous versions on both iOS and OS X. The good news, and one of the reasons for the change, is that at least now the new iWork file formats are the same on both OS X and iOS, which means you no longer get all the Mac to iOS conversion issues with iWork documents. The other reason for the change is that the new iWork file format(s) are more iCloud friendly and so integrate better with it than the old formats which were developed before iCloud existed.

Dec 2, 2013 7:27 PM in response to David Shanahan

Same issue here. My guess is Apple is threatened by Dropbox (or if not threatened...irritated) and they want us using iCloud for everything.

These new updates are the worst thing I've seen Apple do to date. I LOVED using iWork 09. I knew where everything was and it was all very user friendly. Now...the toolbar is gone and this silly format thing is in it's place and so many things either don't work like they used to are next to impossible to find. Why should it be so hard to highlight your text? Or, why shouldn't I be able to tab from cell to cell in table. Tables are a complete nightmare.

New and improved? I think NOT!

Dec 24, 2013 4:40 AM in response to David Shanahan

this is extremely upseting...i am preparing to apply for civil service in my country, and i need to study laws and related topics. all this is available on-line, so i simply open the web pages, copy the texts and paste them to pages 5.0.1. (at home, macbook air 2011, mavericks 10.9.1) then i saved all the material in dropbox . i already have some of this material saved as pdf, so icloud, unfortunately, is not the best option to keep all the stuff in one single folder). to my horror and surprise, when i went to my gf's house and tried to study on my ipad mini, documents simply wouldn't open. back home, i launched iwork '09, just as a desperate last resource, and re-did all the work using pages '09. works fine now, but it took me a lot of time and unnecessary annoyance.

maybe apple should allow pdf on icloud if they dont give a f*ck about dropbox. i dont want to have to use two different apps to have docs on the cloud.

if someone finds a solution, please post.

merry christmas all

Dec 25, 2013 9:00 PM in response to gremista

There's two relatively simple solutions to your problem I can think of:

1. Use Pages Export command to copy the documents to Dropbox on the Mac in MS Word format (.docx or .doc). iOS Dropbox can open Word files directly.

2. Save them to Dropbox as pages files and then in iOS Dropbox app use its "share with" button to open them in iOS Pages (you have Pages on iOS I assume).

Pages to Dropbox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.