Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto lost my original files

I have several folders in iPhoto, the one in question, I have opened several times, and have edited some photos. For reason unknown, I tried to open, and enlarge a photo to full screen image to view it, and I suddenly could not. I got a warning that iPhoto could not locate the original file. I neither deleted or anything else with these files other than some editing, they are recent pics.I can still share the pics in iPhoto, but can no longer open the files to full image to view. My concern is that iPhoto lost my originals, and it could happen to my other folders. I did backup my photos, but when I redownload to iPhoto, I get the same warning of "original files lost"? What can I do to fing the originals on my MAC book, and how to prevent in the future?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 7:32 AM

4 replies

Oct 30, 2013 8:34 AM in response to cmn2000

Are you running a Managed or a Referenced Library?

A Managed Library, is the default setting, and iPhoto copies files into the iPhoto Library when Importing. The files are then stored in the Library package

A Referenced Library is when iPhoto is NOT copying the files into the iPhoto Library when importing because you made a change at iPhoto -> Preferences -> Advanced. (You unchecked the option to copy files into the Library on import) The files are then stored where ever you put them and not in the Library package. In this scenario you are responsible for the File Management.

Oct 30, 2013 8:44 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks for the reply, I checked and apparently I"m running a referenced library. Honestly, I would not have checked or unchecked the option, since I had no clue what that option was for. But, it is unchecked ,so it is what it is. What do you suggest I do to protect my current folders and or any future folders. Also when a picture is deleted rorm a folder, it moves to iPhoto trash, should I empty that, when closing iPhoto or leave it alone?

iphoto lost my original files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.