Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't delete files in mavericks?

Since installing Mavericks, I can no longer delete any files. When I try to add a file to the trash I get a dialog with thie message.

The operation can’t be completed because one or more required items can’t be found.

(Error code -43)

I have read/write privileges to the file.

I can delete files in terminal, but that's only a desparate work-a-round...

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 7:31 AM

26 replies

Oct 30, 2013 8:02 AM in response to Ray GJ

I have the exact same issue. All was working fine in Mountain Lion; upgraded and same error.

I have installed Path Finder (where this operation works as expected) but its HORRIBLE that Apple allows these types of bugs in Finder on a "small OS upgrade".

Hopefully they will fix it soon. I have also done disk utils etc.

Oct 30, 2013 2:22 PM in response to JBhaleRao

OK, let's take a look at your permissions on the Trash folders:

1. Open Terminal.

2. Navigate to your profile: cd ~

3. Execute this command: ls -l -a

drwx------ 2 David staff 68 Oct 30 15:53 .Trash

Above are my settings on a fresh install of Mavericks.

4. Navigate to the top level of the hard drive: cd /

5. Execute this command again: ls -l -a

d-wx-wx-wt 2 root wheel 68 Oct 29 21:24 .Trashes

There are ten places in the permissions field, from left to right, 2-4 are Owner priviledges, 5-7 are Group priviledges and 8-10 are Others priviledges.

Do your settings match mine?

Oct 30, 2013 5:50 PM in response to isd503

isd503,

My trash privileges match your's.

drwx------ 2 Ray staff 68 Oct 30 17:33 .Trash

d-wx-wx-wt 2 root wheel 68 Oct 24 22:58 .Trashes

I also ran Disk Util and repared permissions, didn't work yesterday, but today after my wife logged into her account and then I logged back to my account, it seems fixed...

Not sure what caused it, but it's working now...

Thanks for the replies, maybe the computer needs to be restarted a couple of times after installing Mavericks?

Oct 31, 2013 8:57 AM in response to JBhaleRao

Ray GJ is right. You need to fix the permissions on the .Trash directory in your profile. From Terminal, execute the following commands:

MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN YOUR PROFILE DIRECTORY!

1. cd ~

2. sudo chown -R <username> .Trash

So, <username> is YOUR user name on YOUR Mac. For me, above, you can see mine is David. If I had to perform this command on my machine, it would look like this:

sudo chown -R David .Trash

This will recursively (-R) change ownership of the directory and its contents.

Oct 31, 2013 1:18 PM in response to JBhaleRao

Did you verify the change to .Trash? Now when you run the ls -l -a command, it shows your userid, instead of root?

Is the problem with Trash fixed? If not, you may have a different problem. Do you have another account on your Mac you could use to logon? It would be interesting to see if this is happening to other users on the same Mac.

Can't delete files in mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.