Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't turn on iCloud Mail

After upgrading to Mavericks, I noticed that my Notes were not syncing to iCloud from my iMac (all other devices work fine). I disabled iCloud on my iMac completely and logged back in. After doing so, I was not able to add back my Notes, or iCloud email. This problem persisted for a day, when Notes finally set up

. Mail is still offline. Everything is working fine on all of my other devices, including my MBP running Mavericks. When trying to enable iCloud mail, I get the error: Your iCloud Mail account could not be enabled. I was getting a sililar error for Notes before it finally kicked in. I have logged out and logged back into iCloud a few times, deleting all iCloud content from my Mac in the process. Everything comes back as it should when I log back in, save for Email.

Aside from disabling and enabling iCloud, I have repaired permissions, run disk utility from the recovery partition, and booted to safe mode. No dice.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 8:39 AM

18 replies

Nov 11, 2013 1:15 PM in response to gumpracer

I was having the same problem. I was on the phone with a senior tech advisor a couple of times this morning and he ran out of options. I'm running a MBP 17", just upgraded to Mavericks over the weekend. iCloud Mail and Notes couldn't be enabled but all other services worked fine. I even tried reinstalling the OS but that didn't help. His next solution was a format and reinstall, but I just didn't have the time.

After a bit of fiddling around I tried switching to a different WiFi network but that didn't help. Then I switched to my iPhone hotspot. For some reason, that worked! I was able to set up my Mail and Notes with iCloud. I changed my network back to my usual WiFi and was able to continue using iCloud Mail and Notes.

Nov 12, 2013 1:03 AM in response to davidgrenier

I still have this problem. tried iphone hotspot as you suggest. no joy. somewhat inconvenient. I tried all the other suggestions too. signed out of icloud & back in several times, run disk utility several times & continue to periodically just in case, started in safe mode, tried signing out in safe mode & back in again in safe mode, restarting between. getting fed up with it now. also tried siging in using .me & .icloud rather than .mac. Still nothing. Internet account remoteserver hanging. if i try to run mail & just leave it as some users have suggested machine runs out of memory & freezes up. something to do with .mac & .me & .icloud email accounts all having been used. No good...

never had a problem with notes though.

Any other suggestions to fix?

Nov 12, 2013 1:37 PM in response to gumpracer

Me too. Really frustrating. OK on my i phone and ipad, but as I keep a lot of e mails in folders on my mac book pro I don't want to have to keep logging onto icloud and sending the mails to another account I have to be able to file them away.

I've done the stuff mentioned already but no good, still can't be enabled.

Is this problem associated with the recent download? This is the first time I've really had a problem. How does this process work, we just have to wait for someone to come up with an answer? Do Apple monitor this, surely someone must have the answer

Nov 12, 2013 2:02 PM in response to derekf9570

Given the volume of content on the discussion boards I doubt Apple regularly reviews them. They are provided by Apple for users to help other users.

There are a couple of options to make sure they know:

1) Go to http://www.apple.com/feedback/ and provide feedback. Any time I find a problem with something I first check the discussion boards. If there aren't any solutions I submit feedback.

2) If you have a product in warranty or Apple Care, go to http://www.apple.com/support/contact/ and chat, call them or schedule a call back. I've used each of these, usually successfully.

Good luck.

Nov 16, 2013 3:26 AM in response to tonyrk

Fixed it.

Found another post with a similar problem - don't want to take credit for someone else's solution!

this is what I did:

The problem was caused by dodgy entries in the accounts.plist file in my User Library folder. It appears that either when I upgraded to Mavericks this file gained many thousands of duplicate entries, or maybe these entries were in there before but previously the OSX/Mail combination was more tolerant. When I removed these the problem with Mail disappeared. Here’s what I did….

1> Make the user Library folder visible - in Mavericks this is a lot easier than Lion/Mountain Lion. Simply open up your user directory in Finder, select menu View>Show View Options, and select “Show Library Folder”

2> Navigate through username>Library>Mail>V2>MailData and select the Accounts.plist file. If this file is multiple megabytes (mine was 40+mb) then this is likely the cause of your problem (once sorted mine ended up at 19k in size!)

3> To be safe, make a copy of this file (I placed the copy on my desktop).

4> Using your chosen text editor (I used Text Wrangler but I’m sure TextEdit would work just fine) open the Accounts.plist in the MailData folder (not your backup copy) and take a look. If it’s the same as me you will find hundreds and hundreds of entries for the same mailbox repeated in there. Mine was an old MSN mailbox that I never use any more (I’ve seen in other forums that other Hotmail type accounts also seem to be the culprits in this context). There will likely be two lots of repeated data, one in the XML “DeliveryAccounts” <array> section, and one lot in the “MailAccounts” <array> section.

5> Delete (keeping in mind the need to select the XML sections correctly from <dict> to </dict> completely) all those extra entries that you found, keeping the mail accounts you do need, in the XML and save the file.

6> Mail should open up nice and fast again and not eat your system

7> If this did not work, and causes problems because of over eager deleting in <5> you can replace your broken Accounts.plist file with your backup and try again.

Nov 20, 2013 2:39 PM in response to tonyrk

Glad you got it sorted. I checked mine for what was described in your post and mine was OK.

My mail is still working as mentioned before.

However there are some little things happening that didn't before e.g. deleted messages reappearing and most annoyingly e mails to to my me.com address are delayed, they get to my iphone and ipad a couple of minutes before they appear on my MacBook Pro.

Can't turn on iCloud Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.