Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro and Avid

Hi,

I have a project file from an Avid Symphony. I don't currently have a Symphony, nor is there one even close to where I am. I can open the project files in Avid Xpress Pro HD but I need to get the file to work with Final Cut Pro 5.04.

I know that I have to export the file via OMF or AAF but my question is which do I use? There is an option to use OMF 1.0, 2.0 or AAF? Which will wrok best and will I need anything else to get it to work. This project is currently offline, I will be recapturing an entire movie tomorrow. I would rather not have to recapture all of every tape.

I have heard that Automatic Duck will help but I can't afford the price right now. Can I do it without it?

Thanks for the help.

G5, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Jul 6, 2006 9:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2006 10:03 PM

I know that I have to export the file via OMF or AAF
but my question is which do I use? There is an
option to use OMF 1.0, 2.0 or AAF?

I suggest OMF 2.0. Pro Import FCP 2.0 has been using OMF 2.0 the longest. AAF support is in the plug-in now, however OMF is more tried and true.

Which will wrok
best and will I need anything else to get it to work.
This project is currently offline, I will be
recapturing an entire movie tomorrow. I would
rather not have to recapture all of every tape.

Decompose in the Avid before exporting to OMF, that will allow you to select handles.

I have heard that Automatic Duck will help but I
can't afford the price right now. Can I do it
without it?

Ah, in that case, you'll want to export your sequence out of Xpress Pro as an EDL. Most people recommend CMX 3600.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2006 10:03 PM in response to dMerc

I know that I have to export the file via OMF or AAF
but my question is which do I use? There is an
option to use OMF 1.0, 2.0 or AAF?

I suggest OMF 2.0. Pro Import FCP 2.0 has been using OMF 2.0 the longest. AAF support is in the plug-in now, however OMF is more tried and true.

Which will wrok
best and will I need anything else to get it to work.
This project is currently offline, I will be
recapturing an entire movie tomorrow. I would
rather not have to recapture all of every tape.

Decompose in the Avid before exporting to OMF, that will allow you to select handles.

I have heard that Automatic Duck will help but I
can't afford the price right now. Can I do it
without it?

Ah, in that case, you'll want to export your sequence out of Xpress Pro as an EDL. Most people recommend CMX 3600.

Jul 6, 2006 10:33 PM in response to Wes Plate

Yeah, someone else gave me an EDL from the original file ( a CMX 3600). It was wierd, it was like it was missing stuff. It imported into FCP but it wasn't an entire 2 hour timeline like it should have been, lots of gaps? I guess it could have been a bad EDL export?

What are handles? How do I decompose? This is my first experience with Avid. I am strictly FCP and After Effects. I guess now is the time to expand.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Jul 11, 2006 1:05 PM in response to dMerc

So this is what I have been reading, if you export an OMF 2.0 you should decompose before the export in Avid so that you can select handles.

If I decomposed in Avid before I exported would this be solved? I understand why a cross-dissolve might be a problem
but it happens to normal clips too?

Jul 11, 2006 4:24 PM in response to dMerc

You don't need to decompose in Avid if you are just pulling an EDL. There is a tools menu then select EDL and the EDL tool will open. Beware that EDLs don't transfer a LOT of infomation if there are fx and speed changes and stuff like that so you may be in for a lot of rebuilding. If at ALL possible and you have to do this then get a hold of Wes' Automatic Duck software.... that's the only way to go Avid>FCP.

Final Cut Pro and Avid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.