Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

think it is about time to get internet security for new iMac. appreciate recommendation of product

am interested in getting security for my imac g5. dont know of a good product. Have eset on my pc's is highly rated.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 10:07 AM

Wagels64,

You are posting on the wrong forum, this forum is for Intel based iMacs. You indicated your iMac is a G5 (PPC based!) and you are running 10.5.8. I would recommend forgetting about Internet Security and keeping your system up-to-date. That is the best security there is.

6 replies

Oct 30, 2013 10:15 AM in response to Wagels64

There are many forms of ‘Malware’ that can affect a computer system, of which ‘a virus’ is but one type, ‘trojans’ another. Using the strict definition of a computer virus, no viruses that can attack OS X have so far been detected 'in the wild', i.e. in anything other than laboratory conditions. The same is not true of other forms of malware, such as Trojans. Whilst it is a fairly safe bet that your Mac will NOT be infected by a virus, it may have other security-related problem, but more likely a technical problem unrelated to any malware threat.

You may find this User Tip on Viruses, Trojan Detection and Removal, as well as general Internet Security and Privacy, useful: The User Tip seeks to offer guidance on the main security threats and how to avoid them.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2435

More useful information can also be found here:

www.thesafemac.com/mmg

think it is about time to get internet security for new iMac. appreciate recommendation of product

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.