Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App auto updates over personal hotspot?

Here's the situation:

• On my iPhone running iOS 7, under the settings for iTunes & App Store, I have "Use Cellular Data" set to OFF.
  • On my wi-fi-only iPad running iOS 7, under the settings for iTunes & App Store, I have automatic downloads of app updates set to ON

Question: If I set up a personal hotspot using my iPhone and connect to it using my iPad, will my iPad download app updates over my cellular data connection?

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 10:25 AM

6 replies

Jan 7, 2014 1:57 PM in response to major

Yes, the iPad will download app updates over your iPhone's cellular data. I just tested it. I was tethered to my iPhone using Bluetooth, which I figured to make it even less likely to do so, but as soon as I turned on auto updates it started updating apps.

It's not obvious at first either. You can't see any progress bars. You will just notice the number of pending updates gradually decreasing, and in the App Store "Updates" section you will notice apps appear as updated on this date.

App auto updates over personal hotspot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.