Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Server 3, 2nd user to log in creates a folder called "Networ" and has no access to home folder

Clean install of Mavericks Server (on MacMini mid 2010) and Client (on MacPro mid 2010). Two Network Users created on server with their Home folders at server/Users/user1 & server/Users/user2. Users folder shared via SMB. Client machine bound to server anonymously with SSL enabled.

user1 can log in fine and everything works as it should but if I log out user1 and try and log in as user2 I get an error on the client 'The home folder for "user2" isn't located in the usual place or can't be accessed'. At the same time a network volume called "Networ" (no K on the end) is created at the root of the client's boot drive and within it are the contents of the server's Users folder.

If I reboot the client machine and log in as user2 first, all works well but then logging in as user1 gives the same error.

I've looked everywhere I can think of for a reference to a mountpoint called Networ/Servers but it doesn't exist. Both users in LDAP have their NFSHomeDirectory as /Network/Servers/FQDN.

DNS is set up correctly and I can successfully run changeip -checkhostname

Some odd things that may or may not be relevant:

• File Sharing status of Server.app shows that, although the first user has logged out, they are still connected to the server.

• Both users can log in and out fine locally on the server itself.

• This doesn't happen if I bind a Snow Leopard client to the server, both users behave as expected.

I have wiped and reinstalled both Server and Client thinking perhaps I'd made a typo setting things up but this is repeatable. It also seems I'm not the only one with this problem https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5468766?answerId=23487863022#23487863022

I've now spent so long on this I'm just going round in circles. Any suggstions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 10:25 AM

9 replies

Dec 5, 2013 7:57 PM in response to Mike Curd

I have this exact same issue. Things worked fine prior to Mavericks upgrade. I'd like to try logging into Server 3.0 with a mountain lion client as i'm not sure it's server issue but a client issue. I logged into a machine with "user a" (on the graphical screen). I also logged into the machine via ssh with an admin account. After logging out with "user a" I noticed that the "user a" auto mount home directories are still mounted. So, why aren't the home directories dismounting? Just like you, user b get the home directory unavailible error.

Similarly, on reboot, all works well for user b.

Dec 7, 2013 9:25 AM in response to CCSchool

I gave up trying to share home directories over SMB and now share over AFP. It's very much a Mavericks client issue as I can log in and out fine with earlier OSes. I suppose it's possible to write a logout script to properly unmount the share but that's not really the point.

I entered a bug report with Apple which was promptly marked as a duplicate of another bug report and closed. Hopefully this will get fixed in the next release.

Although sharing via AFP works, after a fashion, there are still some issues for me:

• When a user logs out, they are still reported as connected via AFP in the File Sharing pane of Server.app

• The 'Local Items' keychain, where all passwords are now stored for Mail/Calendar/Contacts etc, is empty for a subsequently logged in user. This means you are constantly asked for passwords, which are never accepted. This also happens if the user logs in on a second client machine. A reboot of the client restores the keychain.

• Adding a client machine to Workgroup Manager for management via MCX completely shuts down the ability to log in or connect to a share via AFP, for everybody. I've had to resort to using Profile Manager - probably better in the long run but, again, that's not the point.

Dec 7, 2013 5:10 PM in response to Mike Curd

I'm using SMB to share - it appears to work fine. Either AFP or SMB gives me the same results. Some folks have suggested forcing cifs.

I've seen the AFP users showing up as connected for a long time now even though things were working fine (when I was using ML server and lion clients - just a month ago). My understanding is the AFP connections showing up in file sharing is a record - not an active connection - which I dont understnad because if I reboot a machine it goes away and it also indicates idle time. crazy.

I do have one user actually using the mail app (everyone else uses gmail) and mail will not remember his password.

I'm still using WGM to manage all of my clients - but I haven't added any new. I guess I will refrain from doing so.

I think for now since several of us have dupped the problem and apple marks the case as duplicate; we all hurry up and wait for a mavericks client update....For now, I just tell my users instead of clicking logout, click reboot when they leave the room, then it's ready for the next teacher to login. Seems to be a fine workaround so far....

Feb 17, 2014 8:04 PM in response to Mike Curd

Not sure if you are still having this issue but I have been suffering from it for about 4 months and thanks to a very helpful person at Apple we have finally identified what causes this to happen.

Basically it is the location of your network users home folders. When you place these in the server/Users directory this behaviour occurs. If you setup a new directory e.g. server/network homes and create the users home directory in there everything works.

You can migrate existing network users by:

1) create a new shared folder

2) make it available for home directories over AFP

3) login as root

4) copy the network user directories from server/users to server/network homes

5) edit the user record within the server app to tell them where their home directory now is

Note I left any local users (including guest) within the server/users folder. i.e. only move network users

Hope this helps someone.

Feb 26, 2014 4:16 AM in response to philshome

This helped - but I actually determined that (maybe as implied by you) the problem still exists when sharing via SMB. If you change the shares to AFP it begins working. In other words, performing the steps above if you were sharing home folders via SMB - problem still present. Performing steps and changing shares to AFP - problem goes away.

May 1, 2014 7:30 AM in response to Mike Curd

We ran into this same problem and figured it out!

Turns out Mavericks is not disconnecting the network account after logout. In our case we have a Synology NAS where all user accounts are stored and you can see that the user is still connected after logout. This then causes a problem for any other network account user who tries to login after. I created a logout hook that disconnects the network volume.

sudo umount -f /Network/IPofServer/NetworkVolumeName

Hopefully this helps some other IT admins!

Server 3, 2nd user to log in creates a folder called "Networ" and has no access to home folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.