Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are my AudioBooks?

Where are my Audiobooks? Over the last 2 years I have purchased several Audiobooks and listened to them for the most part. Wherever I purchased them they showed up. I have a Mac Computer, iPhone & iPad and every one is different. Where are they? Everytime there's a system upgrade or update they seem to misplace them or move them. On iTunes there's a place for Audiobooks on the books section but there isn't a purchased button like on books? I don't get it! I paid $22-$30 for these Audiobooks and can't easily find them. A couple of times over the past 2 years Apple has let me redownload them because they went missing? Anybody else have this problem?

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9), iTunes 11.1.2

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 10:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 11:52 AM

This is not about backing up Music, Movies, Books, Audiobooks & TV Shows. It's about where did they go? I can find my purchases on iTunes for everything but Audiobooks?

23 replies

Oct 7, 2017 4:15 AM in response to Richard Farwell1

I know this is an old post and you might have found the solution already. Just in case you haven't or for anyone coming here for a possible solution, I'll give you my take on it. If you are using a fairly new version of iOS, you would think an audiobook's content would reside inside the 'Music' app on your iPhone, iPod or iPad. It actually doesn't. When you purchase an Audiobook, or if you import it in the correct way into iTunes, the media kind of of your tracks (or chapters) should be set to 'Audiobook' inside your iTunes library. So, when you sync your device with your Mac, your audiobooks will actually appear inside the 'iBooks' app on your portable device, and not in the 'Music' app. Think about it – it's a book in audible format, not a musical album.

If you don't have the 'iBooks' app on your device when syncing your iTunes library, iTunes on the Mac will show a message telling you to install it in order for it to sync your audiobooks from your iTunes library. There is another clue where audiobooks will go on your portable device.

On older versions of iOS, this behaviour is different when syncing from iTunes. As the iBooks app on older versions of iOS doesn't support audio formats, you won't get a message to install the iBooks app. iTunes will just automatically sync your audiobooks to your 'Music' app on the device and they will appear under 'Audiobooks'. It can be found under 'More' (bottom of the screen) when you open the 'Music' app.

I too find it very confusing – especially when you consider the fact that on your Mac, your Audiobooks don't sync to your iBooks app, it ONLY shows up in iTunes. On portable devices (with newer iOS) they show up in 'iBooks' and not in the 'Music' app. It's very inconsistent in my opinion.

Oct 28, 2017 10:20 PM in response to Danr95

There is a complication to this. After Apple inflicted their TV app on their customers, my audiobooks vanished completely from their place in the iBooks folder. (So did some of my other stuff, but that is BTW.) So what worked logically enough before, does so no longer. It’s impossible, if one is not very tech savvy, to work out where stuff goes now. Films - those that Apple has not spirited away or made inaccessible when removing the Videos folder - are partly in iTunes, and partly in the TV app. The new arrangements are a shambles, whether Apple appreciates being told this or not. It is a very foolish business that refuses to accept criticisms from its customers.

Nov 8, 2013 10:01 AM in response to Richard Farwell1

The only way I could get my audiobooks back is I backed them up on a seperate drive. I doulble clicked them and iTunes place them in their proper place (a folder in iTunes Media call "audiobooks"). After that that magically appeared on my iPhone & iPad during backup. They are in under "More" and then under "Audiobooks"

I still don't know where they went when I installed first iOS 7 and then OS X Mavericks. That seems like a flaw in Apples system updates, but I'm not sure.

Mar 8, 2014 4:02 PM in response to Richard Farwell1

My 'Audiobooks' option was not showing up on my iphone under the 'more' button in Music and I couldnt search for my audiobooks through spotlight either.

I've just resolved my problem by opening up iTunes on my computer and connecting my device, clicking my device tab in the top right hand corner of iTunes and then going into the 'summary' tab. At the bottom of that screen under 'Options' I then ticked the box saying 'Manually manage music and video' and voila! (I thought checking this might erase everything on my device ready to re-install but it didn't, it just unchecked all the boxes under the headings of all the content on your device, ie Apps, Music ect) iTunes started to sync and all my audiobooks appeared in the 'On This iPhone tab' in iTunes and the 'Audiobooks' option has now appeared on my iphone under the more button with all my audiobooks in it.

I hope this helps

Where are my AudioBooks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.