Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since upgrading to Mavericks, Mail is extremely slow to load preview pane or show email when mailbox is double-clicked. Is this a known issue?

Since upgrading to Mavericks, Mail is extremely slow to load the preview pane or show email when mailbox is double-clicked. Is this a known issue? Or is there a solution to this issue?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 10:59 AM

6 replies

Nov 1, 2013 9:05 AM in response to AngieLynch

Hi AngieLynch,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like you're seeing some unexpected behavior in Mail.

Before troubleshooting on your computer, I'd strongly recommend backing up your data to an external hard drive with Time Machine, if you haven't already. This article can help with setting up Time Machine:

Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1427

Next, try creating a new user account on your computer. You can add your email account to Mail in the new user account. If Mail is more responsive in the new user account, then Mavericks is working fine and the behavior is caused by conflicts in your own Mail or user account.

These articles walk you through creating a new user and setting up Mail:

OS X Mountain Lion: Create a new user account (applies to Mavericks, too.)

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11468

Configuring Mail for your email account

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1277

Best,

Jeremy

Nov 28, 2013 3:56 AM in response to jeremy_v

Hi Jeremy

I'm having a number of similar problems to Angie.

I have backed up my system, created new user accounst and connected to my mail server etc. and its still the same. Very slow at showing the preview or loading the email.

I have a number of email accounts, pop3, imap, jabber, gMail and Yahoo all have the same problem.

I've also cleaned the memory, removed unwanted apps and verified the disk etc.

It like the bad old days of Microsoft.

Regards

Keith

Nov 28, 2013 2:27 PM in response to laurask

Synchronizing accounts (Mailbox menu item) seems to kick Mail to retrieve from the server. I have used an Applescript which does this automatically every 5 mins (change the '5' after 'return' for a different time interval)

Open AppleScriptEditor (in Applications). Paste in this code and add account name(s).

on idle

tell application "Mail"

synchronizewithaccount "add account name here"

synchronize with account "add another account name here"

end tell

return 5 * 60

end idle

Then File > Export. Set file format to Application and tick the option 'Stay open after run handler'. Then double click the .app to start. Will keep going until you quit it.

Since upgrading to Mavericks, Mail is extremely slow to load preview pane or show email when mailbox is double-clicked. Is this a known issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.