Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to burn DVD in iMovie 10

I've just upgraded to iMovie 10 and cannot figure out how to burn my movie to a DVD. I don't want to share on Vimeo, CNN, etc. I just want a movie for me?

What may I missing? Help, please!

iMac, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 10:57 AM

80 replies

Jun 17, 2017 6:35 AM in response to Alan Cook2

I'm desperate for help here! I am creating a slideshow composed of small videos and pictures for my daughter's birthday (32 minutes in total). I have followed all steps, and when the file is exported from iMovie it takes some time. Once it tells me completed, I try and insert the file into iDVD but it tells me it isn't supported.

When I click on the exported file's details, it tells me there are no bytes..meaning the file is empty. What do I do?? Thank you in advance!

Nov 9, 2013 6:39 PM in response to Terencefromfl

I'm trying to burn a DVD also using iMovie 10 (2013) on a new driveless MacBook Pro, which does not come with iDVD. I am able to select the project which is listed in iMovie Library, then click share (among import, create, share buttons at top of iMovie), and choose "File." Once that was done, an MP4 of my movie shows up in my Documents folder. When I right click, there is a burn to disc option, but when I click it says the disc will be playable on a Mac or Windows PC. No good. I'll report back if I find a solution.

A f%$% manual would be nice. The iMovie documentation here on the site is outdated and sends you looking for iDVD.

Dec 10, 2013 10:34 AM in response to jbend

I've now also spent the better part of two days trying to convert a video from tape to digital in iMovie and then burn a dvd. And I agree that a manual would be nice for iMovie 10. In the meantime, here's what ended up working for me:

Instead of sharing the movie and creating another mpeg-4 file, I opened the package contents of the iMovie Library.

Then I selected the project, opened the folder called Original Media and in there is a .mov file which is the movie I wanted to burn.

Now, the rest worked because I have Toast Titanium: I right clicked on the .mov file and one option was "Toast It" which I did. The rest is simply using Toast to create a dvd which can be played on both computers and a regular machine wired into a TV.

When I used share and created an mp4 file, Toast wouldn't accept it. That seems to be another of iMovie 10's endearing features, that it creates files of the right types that can't be read by other applications that accept those files. So I don't know who knows why this was so, but I'm happy that I could finally get a finished product and I hope this might help others until Apple does some real improving of iMovie 10.

Dec 23, 2013 6:10 PM in response to Terencefromfl

I have already turned to the help section and tried what's been listed above; still no results. In the projects window, I have one movie that I have queued in the "creating movie", and it is not saving it to a movie file. It does create an mp4, which has audio only. The manual says nothing about burning a dvd that I can find, rather the only reference to dvd is importing directly from camera to dvd. I also do not have idvd.

What a mess. I'm really sorry I upgraded so far. Any new suggestions would be most welcome.

Dec 23, 2013 6:36 PM in response to RuffiansRide

I'm not sure why you don't have iDVD, since I think it comes with every system. In addition to taking a movie file and burning it to a DVD via Toast, I tried opening iDVD and using Magic DVD. That gives you a screen where you can drop a movie file and it looked like most of the files I had would work that way.

Next time I need to burn a dvd, I'm going to try that method.

And I agree that the manual doesn't seem very detailed or complete.

How to burn DVD in iMovie 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.