Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can no longer tab between cells in a table with pages 5.0.

I use pages everyday for filling in my work booking sheets. I need to have them synching to the cloud, so I can access the client information while on the road.

My booking sheet is basically a large table with many cells for name, address, phone number, etc. In pages 4.3 I could enter some information into the cell, hit the tab button, and it would go straight to the next cell in the table. This was a quick and easy way for me to fill out my forms on the computer.

Well, since the update, the tab button only moves the cursor over in the same cell, as opposed to the next cell. It is VERY rare to need to tab in a cell, as opposed to going to the next cell.

I did figure out that I could Option+ Tab to move to the next cell, but it is very hard to change my procedure of tabbing after all this timing doing it the other way.

Am I just missing a preferance to tab between cells, instead of inside a cell?

Thanks

Dave

iMac, Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 12:46 PM

Althoug this is annoying at a first glance this behaviour makes sense.

Instead of Numbers where you tab through the table you can add now tab stops to a table cell. For advanced formatting in a larger table cell this is perfect.

You can find an almost complete list of the shortcuts in pages in the Pages help

Its the last chapter.

Regards,

A. Wolff

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2013 12:46 PM in response to Dazzling Dave Yo-Yo

Althoug this is annoying at a first glance this behaviour makes sense.

Instead of Numbers where you tab through the table you can add now tab stops to a table cell. For advanced formatting in a larger table cell this is perfect.

You can find an almost complete list of the shortcuts in pages in the Pages help

Its the last chapter.

Regards,

A. Wolff

Dec 30, 2013 10:18 PM in response to Squabbler

Option-tab makes sense and can be done with the left hand's thumb/forefinger.

Using tab was always arse-backwards as it defeated the use of tab within the table cell.

Best to use both for what they always do:

Option tab or an arrow key (singular) to jump cells

tab to jump to the next tab in the text wherever it is within or without cells.

The contrary precedence was set by Microsoft and was a bad idea. In good UI you do not have shortucts reverse roles such that you need to pay excessive attention to the context.

Peter

Jan 6, 2014 1:20 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Changing Numbers like this was absolutely rediculous. If they wanted to add the within the cell function, why not make that the Option/Tab function and leave the old standard alone. It is very cumbersome to hold the option key down. Anyone who is trying to move from Excel will find this so counter-intuitive. APPLE - PLEASE CHANGE IT BACK!

Jan 17, 2014 4:56 PM in response to Dazzling Dave Yo-Yo

It is competely wrong. For years and hundreds of applications, TAB is always ALWAYS moves to next cell. Tell the guys at Lotus123 it was not intuitive, I agree, but now everything EVERYthing uses TAB for cell move.

Use Opt+Tab if you want a new feature.

This type of changing and counter to other work is so Not-Apple. What's happened to my great company?

Feb 8, 2014 11:20 AM in response to Dazzling Dave Yo-Yo

Option-tab DOES NOT WORK when you are skimming through cells. It only works once you are editing a cell.

If you are just skiming through cells, THEN you revert to just using Tab.

Changing basic functionality is a pain in the butt, but it's something users can adapt to. Changing basic functionality sometimes, but not others, in a haphazard fashion, is just stupid.

I wonder if the programmers who rebuilt Pages ever actually use it...

Fix this guys, it's a bug not a feature...

I can no longer tab between cells in a table with pages 5.0.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.