Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro EFI Firmware update 2.9 won't apply

I have been getting a software update alert for nearly a year now for the EFI Firmware update and Thuderbolt firmware update.

No matter how may times I apply them they remain as needing to be applied. I was hoping that Mavericks would solve the issue, but all that does is show that the update has been applied, along with the notice that it needs applying, see attached.

Anyone know how to fix this? it is driving me mad

User uploaded file

iTunes-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 12:08 PM

2 replies

Nov 1, 2013 2:18 PM in response to MikeRevitt

Howdy MikeRevitt,

It sounds like you are unable to install a firmware update for your OS. I want to recommend these steps from the article named:

About firmware updates for Intel-based Macs

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1557

If there is an installation issue

If the updater was not successful, try installing again by opening the Firmware Updater application, which is located in the Utilities folder (/Applications/Utilities). Then go to Step 4 above.

In the unlikely case that your computer displays a black screen after starting up, you can restore your computer's firmware back to factory condition. Follow the directions to restore your firmware.

Important: An Intel-based Mac's hard disk must be formatted with the GUID partition scheme to apply a firmware update. Intel-based Macs are shipped this way from the factory. If you have reformatted your hard drive, you should check which scheme your hard disk is currently using before applying a firmware update.

Note: If you are applying a firmware update using a version of Mac OS X earlier than version 10.5, you cannotapply firmware updates on a computer that starts up from a software RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks) volume. If you are starting up from a software RAID volume, you must start up from a storage device other than a software RAID volume to apply this update.

Some USB and FireWire devices may prevent firmware updates from installing correctly. If you are having trouble installing an update try disconnecting non-essential devices and use only an Apple keyboard, mouse, and display.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care,

Sterling

Mac Pro EFI Firmware update 2.9 won't apply

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.