Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ARD quality 10.9

I'm used to a fairly sharp and snappy ARD connection with 10.8.x host and 10.8.x clients - since moving to 10.9 on the host I find the ARD performance has degraded significantly - moving items are bitmapped and blurry at the edges when controling 10.9 clients, 10.8.x clients behave as before. Any clues?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Mac Mini Servers

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 1:11 PM

6 replies

Nov 1, 2013 3:11 PM in response to Graeme White

Sadly, It has been the same with me. Since upgrading to ARD 3.7, which is required on Mavericks, I have been dealing with really lousy choppy performance. Most of the systems that I manage remotely are on very fast connections with very fast upload speeds from 5Mb/s up to 100Mb/s. Actually, ARD has been like this somewhat for quite sometime, but it's worse under ARD 3.7. I can't think of a good reason for this. Microsoft's new RDP app for the Mac works awesome. Why is it that Microsoft knows how to do this better than Apple? This is very disappointing. I have tried a lot of things such as completely deleting ARD from both of my systems, and seeking out and destroying all of the stored settings, caches, etc. Nothing that I have tried works.

Nov 1, 2013 5:52 PM in response to Graeme White

I'm having really horrible performance as well. I rely on ARD at both work and home and I don't know if it was 3.7, Mavericks, or a combination of the two that has caused these issues.

It will just lock up on my brand new 2.6GHz 15" RMBP and max out my processor which causes my computer to get boiling hot and the fans to start screaming. I installed it clean when I got the new machine.

I hope there is a fix in the works.

Nov 1, 2013 9:34 PM in response to Graeme White

Are any of you viewing headless systems?

Can you supply some more details?

- What quality setting do you have?

- What are you Admin and Remote systems?

- If you dare to get some debug logging, try setting from the Terminal on both Admin and Remote:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.RemoteManagement ARDCollectLogs -bool YES

-- Then, reboot both systems and reproduce the performance issue. From /tmp on both systems copy and paste the logging that you see in RemoteDesktopAdmin.log (Admin), and ScreenSharing.log & ScreensharingAgent.log (Server).

- Disable debug logging with:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.RemoteManagement ARDCollectLogs -bool NO

Nov 8, 2013 10:55 AM in response to Graeme White

ARD 3.7 performance in Mavericks is disastrously bad. It's a huge resource hog, often taking up over 50% of the CPU and 4GB of RAM. I regularly have machines showing up in my list as permanently "authenticating." It also shows machines being Offline when they quite clearly are not. While my lists are all set to sort machines in ascending alphabetical order, the machines tend to jump around in the list so rapidly that I can't click on one to observe it. It's like the list is being sorted by current status or some other criteria.

ARD quality 10.9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.