Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have no more GB available left on my phone. My Messages seem to be taking up 3.0 GB. How can I free up this memory?

I have no more GB available on my phone. According to my usuage section my Messages seem to be taking up 3.0 GB. How can I free up this memory? It doesn't let me edit this, but I can edit the Music and Apps. I need help.

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 1:24 PM

4 replies

Mar 20, 2014 12:24 PM in response to AlvRodriguez

I have same issue :-( no one seems to have an answer. I have backed up my phone and restored to factory settings. Then went back and restored from back up and got some memory back. The message data still will not go away and I have deleted ALL MESSAGES. AND IT STILL SHOWS A LARGE AMOUNT OF MEMORY USED. I could surly use that memory for other things.

Mar 20, 2014 12:48 PM in response to AlvRodriguez

There was a Messages bug back in iOS 6.x.x where if you deleted a message, the attached photo or video was left "hung" in your messages threads and was no longer accessible because the message it was tied to was gone. I believe that bug in the deletion was fixed in iOS 7, but the old "orphaned" media is still in your messages database on your device. From what I understand, the only way to clear it is to reset your phone as a new device and set it up from scratch.

Some users have reported ways to go into the iPhone backups and delete the images, then to restore from that backup, but it is not something that I have done, and I'm not certain I would recommend it. You may find a third party app for your computer which will allow you to access your messages and delete the attachments from there if you don't ant to restore as new and start over...

I have no more GB available left on my phone. My Messages seem to be taking up 3.0 GB. How can I free up this memory?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.