Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Laggy animations Mavericks

I got a Mac Pro 2009. I got it a month ago and installed mountain lion on it, the animations were very slow and it didn't work at all. I didn't understand it because it should be compatible. So I decided to wait for Mavericks. I did a clean install and whiped the whole hard drive, but still there are these laggy animations. When I scroll, launch launchpad, start safari etc. It is terrible, I can't do anything. I have already tried a lot of troubleshooting, but nothing works. I need to get it fixed as soon as possible. Please help...

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 1:33 PM

13 replies

Oct 30, 2013 4:40 PM in response to AppleKnowledge

Top Priority is to be sure you have adequate Backups, as those symptoms could indicate your Boot Drive is failing.

Next, check the memory readouts:

Using Activity Monitor to read System Memory and determine how much RAM is being used

If you can screenshot that with Command-Shift-3, it will save the image you drag across to the desktop (by default) you can then post that screenshot in a reply on the forums with the little camera icon.

Or answer the questions:

How much total RAM memory?

How much is Free (Green)? How much is Free + Inactive (Green + Blue) ?

How many PageOuts??

Oct 31, 2013 9:08 AM in response to AppleKnowledge

Here are some ideas for why animations are may be slow:

• Competition for the Boot Drive --

If everything you are manipulating and all the System and Program information is on one drive, it can induce a "traffic jam" around that drive. The drive heads are sent all over the drive getting a little of this and a little of that, and everything slows down.

The easiest way to speed up a Mac Pro is to have the Boot Drive (with only System, Library, Applications, and the hidden unix files including Paging/Swap on one drive, and all User data on another drive. If the Boot drive is a low-latency SSD, that gives an even bigger improvement.

• A failing Boot Drive--

Disk data are recorded with an error correcting code that can fix a few bits in a burst. When a data block cannot be read on the first try, you may suffer up to 1,000 re-tries in an attempt to get correctable data. If it eventually does get correctable data, everything proceeds. If not, you get I/O error.

• Competing processes --

Web-based synchronization, such as iCloud photo sync or DropBox are notorious for using up bursts of compute cycles doing un-needed synchronization.. You may find you get better results if you shut those off while trying to run animations

Oct 31, 2013 1:13 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

There aren't any files on the Mac, except for the OS. So it would be strange if it has to do with something like that.

I also never got an error message. But maybe there is something else wrong. Is there a way repair a boot drive?

I already used the 'repair disk' function in the disk utility, and I have also done a clean install.

It would also be strange if it has something to do with iCloud etc. iCloud is the only web-based synchronization app I use. And for an eight core computer that couldn't be a problem.

I was thinking of the graphics card. Can it be damaged or to old? That it doesn't work anymore.

Did you ever experience the same problem with your Mac Pro?

The problem is getting worse, I almost can't be using Safari anymore, because of the stuttering.

The problem occurs only with some animation because the App Store for example works fine, but Safari is terrible!

Oct 31, 2013 1:31 PM in response to AppleKnowledge

always want a 2nd boot drive that you can run more than just ML Recovery Mode.

If the drive goes so too does the recovery partition

It could be bad sectors in the partiton table. ML does do two repairs now, clicking on raw drive name (WDxxx) and the user partition(s). The only way to repair a disk is booting from another partition, like Recovery, but another drive lets you run more utilities.

2GB RAM is not enough. DIMMs do fail. And while 8GB is enough, even Safari + iTunes + iPhoto and the system can eat up 7.8GB or more. I couldn't tell if your sort was for real memory, shared, virtual or not.

Safari - reset it. Boot it in safe mode. Delete all the history cache web previews, cached bookmarks. Maybe even move the safari preference folder aside for awhile. Or try a test user account.

Having Disk Utility create a sparse disk image of your system is handy. When you get it working.

I would replace the system disk drive. Go buy an SSD. Otherwise same price almost for hdd but zero it before using. A 3-way write erase is best way to deal with bad sectors on disk drives.

Laggy animations Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.