Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sending e-mail to someone not in address book

What is the easiest way to send a one-time e-mail to someone not in my address book?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Apple Mail

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 2:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 11:20 AM

Hello vistahurdler,

Use these steps to send an email using Mail:

Sending email messages with Mail

1. Create a new message
    Open Mail. Click the New button in the Mail toolbar. (Or, from the File menu, choose New Message.)
  2. Address your recipient
    In the To field, type your recipient's email address (it should look something like name@domain.com). To send a message to more than one person, insert a comma between each address in the To field, or enter additional addresses in the Cc (short for “carbon copy”) field. If you want to send a copy of your message without your other recipients knowing, you can also put an address into the Bcc (short for “blind carbon copy”) field. To display this field, from the View menu, choose Bcc Address Field.
  3. Write your message
    Type something brief in the Subject field that summarizes what your message is about, and then type your message in the body of the message (the big white space below your account name). Your account should appear in the Account pop-up menu.
  4. Send
    When you're done typing your message, click Send to email your message.

For more information, see Mac 101: Mail. Additionally, all Macs come with built-in Mac Help that provides step-by-step instructions to do many activities on your computer. To find out more information about using Mail, open Mail and from the Help menu, choose Mail Help.

You can find the full article here:

Email Quick Assist

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1146

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2013 11:20 AM in response to vistahurdler

Hello vistahurdler,

Use these steps to send an email using Mail:

Sending email messages with Mail

1. Create a new message
    Open Mail. Click the New button in the Mail toolbar. (Or, from the File menu, choose New Message.)
  2. Address your recipient
    In the To field, type your recipient's email address (it should look something like name@domain.com). To send a message to more than one person, insert a comma between each address in the To field, or enter additional addresses in the Cc (short for “carbon copy”) field. If you want to send a copy of your message without your other recipients knowing, you can also put an address into the Bcc (short for “blind carbon copy”) field. To display this field, from the View menu, choose Bcc Address Field.
  3. Write your message
    Type something brief in the Subject field that summarizes what your message is about, and then type your message in the body of the message (the big white space below your account name). Your account should appear in the Account pop-up menu.
  4. Send
    When you're done typing your message, click Send to email your message.

For more information, see Mac 101: Mail. Additionally, all Macs come with built-in Mac Help that provides step-by-step instructions to do many activities on your computer. To find out more information about using Mail, open Mail and from the Help menu, choose Mail Help.

You can find the full article here:

Email Quick Assist

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1146

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

Nov 1, 2013 2:55 PM in response to vistahurdler

Thanks, Sheila, but I did a poor job of stating my question. I knew how to do what you described, but was looking for a way to make the address line look the same as it does when I send an e-mail to someone in my address book, i. e., the recipient's name, rather than only the e-mail address, would appear on the "To" line. If there is an easy way to do that, I'd appreciate knowing it. Thanks.

Sending e-mail to someone not in address book

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.