11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 31, 2013 1:26 PM by Kirby Krieger
daikambu65 Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

When I import files, the result seems to adhere to the Version Name I enter in the Input Inspector panel.

But then, when I'm in Brower Line Mode, I see that the Filename reflects projects I imported a week ago, alongside the correct Version Name.

Should I care? What am I missing?

Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), running an iMac
  • phosgraphis Level 2 Level 2 (330 points)

The terms you are using are a bit confusing, but that aside I believe the Browser metadata settings are specified differently for the two views you are refering to.

Note that two different views of metadata (basic and expanded) can be displayed for each of the viewer, grid and list views (i.e., a total of 6). You can see what is assigned with ⌘-J. I'm guessing that they are different for your list view and grid view.

See "Working with Browser Views" in the Aperture documentation to learn more about all this.

• daikambu65 Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Ok, I'll try to use orthodox terminology. In the Browser, you have a choice between Grid View and List View. Choosing list view provides a roster of files along with metadata. Including a Version Name and File Name.

Upon Import, I can set the Version Name in the Import HUD Brick.

So, where does the File Name come from?

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (12,510 points)

Hi,

Please keep in mind that we are communicating with each other through a very thin wire: strings of words you type show on my screen.  Short strings.  We use terms with care in order to make our communication possible.

"Orthodox" is a strange way to put that.  "Correct" is the term I would use.

"HUD" means Heads-Up Display.  "Brick" refers to the Adjustment panes that show stacked in the Adjustment Inspector.  The Aperture glossary is here.

In order for any of us to answer your question -- which we'd like to do  -- we need to know to what you refer.  Even though you've asked and re-asked, I still can't tell what you are asking.

We know what List View is.  It can have columns that show the Version Name and the File Name. 

The Version Name is determined by the File Naming Preset you use when you import.  The File Naming Preset is selected in the "Rename Files" section of the Import Settings.  You can rename Versions at any time.

The File Name is the name of the Image's Original.  You can change this on Import to match the Version Name specified File Naming Preset by checking the box "Rename Original File".  File names cannot be readily changed.  (You must use "Metadata➞Batch Change➞Version Name Format" and check "Apply to Original files".

Does that help resolve your issue?

--Kirby.

Screen Shot 2013-10-31 at 6.36.03 AM.pngSorry. Unable to load screenshot. But to recap, when I hit the Apple-J keys, the Metadata HUD appears. Under the subcategory: Aperture, are the choices for File Name + Version Name, with check boxes for each.

With both of these checked, they then appear in the tabulated form of Metadata. My question is, I seem to be able to easily manipulate Version name on the Import Pane at Import. But where the heck is the File Name coming from? What I see in that field (column in the Line by Line Metadata screen -- browser) is spurious.

The Import Pane ——— HUD, whatever you call it  ––– has no entry field for File Name.

• Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7 (25,720 points)

The file name is the name of the original file you are importing into Aperture. It is usually set by the camera unless you changed it somewhere along the way.

You can rename the original on Import using the Rename Files brick:

Screen Shot 2013-10-31 at 10.00.44.png

If you enable that you get

Screen Shot 2013-10-31 at 09.58.40.png

Where you can set the name of the version and if you check Rename Original File then the original wil be renamed also.

Bingo. I just tried something. I opened the project, pulled up the Grid View of the images, selected all, and then navigated to View>Batch Change. This, in turn, opened a menu with choices for the File Name. Under the entry box where I typed in the new name was a check box for REPLACE ORIGINAL.

Now I have MetaData with both a Version Name and File Name that are correct.

Ah, if you wanted to change the file names in your library you should have asked that. That solution would have been given to you yesterday

regards

Frank Caggiano wrote:

Ah, if you wanted to change the file names in your library you should have asked that. That solution would have been given to you yesterday

It was:

(You must use "Metadata➞Batch Change➞Version Name Format" and check "Apply to Original files".)

Ah you're right!! I was looking at the OP;s post to see what was asked, never looked at the replies.

I forgot you have powers to answer the questions that should have been asked not the ones that were

Must be caused by all those fracking chemicals in the water up in your part of the woods

• léonie Level 9 Level 9 (77,940 points)

I forgot you have powers to answer the questions that should have been asked not the ones that were

Both Kirby and you share that magic (or uncanny?) gift!