Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change language in Mac OS 9.2 (powerbook G3)

Hi,

I have apple powerbook G3.
software installed is MAC OS 9.2 and
language is swedish.

i want to change language to English
without reinstallation of operating system.

how can i do that ?

Regards
Rishi

powerbook G3 Mac OS 9.2.x

Posted on Jul 7, 2006 1:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2006 5:12 AM

Hi, Rishi -

Welcome to Apple's Discussions.

...installed is MAC OS 9.2 and language is swedish. i want to change language to English without reinstallation of operating system. how can i do that ?

You can not.

OS 9 comes in only one language per installation. In order to change languages, the OS must be reinstalled in the language desired.

OS 9 does have the ability to change keyboard layouts from one language to another in the same OS (that setting is done in the Keyboard control panel) - but doing that changes only the keyboard layout; menus, messages, etc. remain in the original language of the OS.

The change to a new language can not be done using download updates - a download update will install only on top of an earlier version of the same language.

The only way to do it is to acquire a retail OS 9 install CD in the new language, install that, then update it as needed using download updaters in the same language.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2006 5:12 AM in response to deepu

Hi, Rishi -

Welcome to Apple's Discussions.

...installed is MAC OS 9.2 and language is swedish. i want to change language to English without reinstallation of operating system. how can i do that ?

You can not.

OS 9 comes in only one language per installation. In order to change languages, the OS must be reinstalled in the language desired.

OS 9 does have the ability to change keyboard layouts from one language to another in the same OS (that setting is done in the Keyboard control panel) - but doing that changes only the keyboard layout; menus, messages, etc. remain in the original language of the OS.

The change to a new language can not be done using download updates - a download update will install only on top of an earlier version of the same language.

The only way to do it is to acquire a retail OS 9 install CD in the new language, install that, then update it as needed using download updaters in the same language.

Jul 7, 2006 6:25 AM in response to deepu

Hi, Rishi -

You can usually find retail OS 9 Install CD's in North American English at sites like these -
http://store.yahoo.com/hardcoremac/index.html - Apple Reseller
http://www.applerescue.com/

EBay is another possibility.

Regardless of the source, be sure to get a retail OS 9 Install CD - those are white, with a large gold 9 on them; the retail OS 9 Install CD's have a universal installer; model-specific Install CD's do not.

In case you need the updaters -
Article #75103 - Mac OS 9.1 - Download and Info
Article #120030 - Mac OS 9.2.1 - Download and Info
Article #75186 - Mac OS 9.2.2 - Download and Info

If you want to end up at OS 9.2.2, I'd recommend getting a retail OS 9.2.1 Install CD (there are no retail OS 9.2.2 Install CDs). Those include current versions of Apple's Disk First Aid and Drive Setup utilities, and would reduce the need for OS updates to one.

Note - if your PowerBook G3 is a FireWire model, it can not use a retail OS 9.0 Install CD; it would need a retail OS 9.0.4 or higher Install CD. Any earlier PB G3 model can use any retail OS 9 Install CD.

How to change language in Mac OS 9.2 (powerbook G3)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.