Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My new 64GB Touch iPod won't charge

As the title indicates, my new (only 4 hours old) Touch iPod will not charge, open, turn on, or do anything. I have used two sources of power - my laptop and an Apple charger (from my also new phone since this iPod did not come with any charger - why?) but neither source made a difference. I have Windows 7 and my laptop is a Asus, i7, 8GB Ram (if that makes any difference). If it does not charge tonight I will be taking it back. Only a few days earlier I bought the 32GB Touch iPod and it worked just fine immediately. Then I decided the 64GB suited my needs more. I had to order the 64GB iPod to get the colour I wanted. This is such a nuisance. I will try rebooting my laptop and hope it works.

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 5:21 PM

4 replies

Oct 30, 2013 5:29 PM in response to carolhugh

I forgot to mention that it is the 5th Generation Touch iPod. I also tried rebooting my laptop with the iPod attached and it did nothing. When I hold down the on/off button nothing happens. No red slider bar appears. NOTHING! Only the battery icon showing a tiny bit of red on the left. There is a lightning icon but it does nothing. I have had it powering for almost 5 hours now with no results.

Oct 30, 2013 5:30 PM in response to carolhugh

Try:

- iOS: Not responding or does not turn on

- Also try DFU mode after try recovery mode

How to put iPod touch / iPhone into DFU mode « Karthik's scribblings

- If not successful and you can't fully turn the iOS device fully off, let the battery fully drain. After charging for an least an hour try the above again.

- Try on another computer

- If still not successful that usually indicates a hardware problem and an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store is in order.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

Not Charge

- See:

iPod touch: Hardware troubleshooting

- Try another cable. Some 5G iPods were shipped with Lightning cable that were either initially defective or failed after short use.

- Try another charging source

- Inspect the dock connector on the iPod for bent or missing contacts, foreign material, corroded contacts, broken, missing or cracked plastic.

- Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

My new 64GB Touch iPod won't charge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.