Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband 10 and grid alignment

I am unable to turn off the grid in Garageband 10, which is causing me major headaches when trying to arrange and edit regions, both Audio and Midi. I am aware of the options in the Edit menu, (snap to grid and alignment guides), which seem to have no effect at all.

I need more flexibility in editing than I'm being allowed, here, which seems odd in a piece of software that is so good in so many other contexts.

Anyone able to sort me out? 🙂

Ontradio

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 5:21 PM

5 replies

Oct 31, 2013 12:47 AM in response to ontradio

Do you see no difference at all with "Snap to Grid" disabled? The behaviour of the grid depends on the current zoom setting.

Perhaps your GarageBand preferences file is unreadable. I'd first check, you can disable the grid, when launching GarageBand from a differentt user account, for example the Guest account. If that works and GarageBand is behaving well, use HangTime's oddball probs fix and trash the preferences.

Move com.apple.garageband.plist from the Preferences folder in your user library to the Desktop - see the FAQ:

http://www.bulletsandbones.com/GB/GBFAQ.html#oddballprobs

(Let the page FULLY load. The link to your answer is at the top of your screen)

This usually solves problems with unresponsive user interface elements - the preferences file stores the layout and settings of the interface elements, and if that file is corrupted, some controls may cease to work.

Your user library is hidden in Mavericks. To make it visible in your Home folder (the folder with the little house icon) open a Finder window showing the Home folder, then press the key combination ⌘J to show the View Options. In the View Options panel enable "Library".

User uploaded file

Quit GarageBand, if it is running.

Now open the "Library" folder and go to "Preferences".

• Drag "com.apple.garageband.plist" from "Preferences" to the Desktop
  • Also go to "Containers" and drag "com.apple.garageband10" to the Desktop.
  • Also go to "Caches" and drag "com.apple.garageband" to the Desktop.

Reboot the system.

And try again.

Léonie

Nov 1, 2013 10:49 AM in response to léonie

Hi Léonie, thank you for posting a reply to my query. As soon as I pluck up the courage, I will try your suggestion 🙂 . I'm always a bit reluctant to fiddle with parts of a program, the file system, or OS, because I'm not the world's most experienced Mac user, but I have every confidence that what you suggest is harmless, you know what you are talking about, and I guess I can always reinstate the system to it's former state. Meanwhile, thanks again. You'll know as soon as I do whether it's worked!

Kind regards,

Ontradio.

Nov 1, 2013 10:59 AM in response to ontradio

Ontradio,

Removing preference files and cleaning the Containers and the Cache in the uder librariy is harmless. These are liles, that GarageBand can recreate, when it is launched. Only, you will have to enter your preferences again - everything you set from the GarageBand > Preferences panel. So you may look at that panel once more, to remember, what your setiings have been.

Léonie

Nov 2, 2013 3:30 AM in response to léonie

Hi Leoni, did the exercise you suggested with preferences, which seems to have 'calmed' Garageband down a bit, it doesn't seem so ready to crash, and everything I've tried, so far, does seem to work properly. I haven't had time to work extensively with it since the preferences 'adjustment', but I'll let you know how things go. Many thanks for your help.

Regards,

Ontradio.

Garageband 10 and grid alignment

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.