Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to write to iPhoto library?

Since the OS X Mavericks update, I can not open iPhoto. I tried the fix Apple suggest (repair permissions) and I get a message "were sorry we can't repair your permissions". How can I access the 22,000 pictures in my iPhoto library?

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 5:40 PM

14 replies

Oct 31, 2013 11:34 AM in response to LocoBrian

With the amount of information you've provided it's impossible to offer a potential solution. We can't see your computer so we need to know the details of your problem and setup, i.e.:

• what version of iPhoto are you using?
  • what do you see when launch iPhoto?
  • where do get the that message, in iPhoto or Disk Utility?
  • what fixes have you tried?
  • where is your library located?
  • did you apply any updates or upgrades just prior to the problem occurring?
  • are you running a "managed" or "referenced" library?

User uploaded file

• what type of Mac?
  • how much free space on your boot drive?

OT

Nov 1, 2013 5:07 PM in response to Old Toad

I'm using iPhoto v9.5

When I launch iPhoto, it opens but I get a message that says:

Unable to write to library "iPhoto Library"

Check that you have permission to write to the library directory.

The only way out is to click cancel then iPhoto closes.

I tried a fix the other night. I can't seem to find it now but a message appearewd that said something to extent of "Sorry. I can't repair your permissions."

My library is located on an external hard drive that also contains my music library. iTunes works fine.

I applied the OS X Mavericks update. Prior to that iPhoto worked properly.

I can't get iPhoto to open so I can't check the library prefernces.

I'm running an iMac 21.5" 3.06GHz Core i3

The boot drive has 185GB of free space. Most of my files live across numerous hard drives.

Nov 2, 2013 9:38 AM in response to LocoBrian

First open the iPhoto library package with the Finder

User uploaded file

locate a file named iPhotoLock.data, move it to the Trash, close the package and launch iPhoto again.

If the above doesn't help see if you can run the following:

1 - launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys held down and rebuild the library.

User uploaded file

2 - Run Option #1, Repari Permissions, followed by Option #4, Repair Database, if needed.

Dec 3, 2015 1:51 PM in response to Old Toad

I have the same problem. I use iPhoto Buddy to manage my voluminous libraries. But when I try to open iPhoto, some of my libraries will open and others will not. This is a recent change unrelated to any upgrades. I get a message that says "Unable to write to library ____. Check that you have permission to write to the library directory." I have done the Option + Command to open iPhoto and have selected first Repair Permissions and then Repair Database. That does not help. I also have not downloaded any new iPhoto or Mac OS upgrades, so I do not know what would have triggered this blockage. I have very many photos - 2.04TB - on a 3TB external hard drive. Could that be my issue - that I have only "958.58 GB Available"?

I also have a backup external hard drive that has a 2.5TB capacity, with only 457.28 GB available. I do have checked the "Ignore ownership on this volume," when I click Command i, for both the dedicated Photos external hard drive and the Photos backup external hard drive. when I click Command i.

Any suggestions?

Dec 3, 2015 2:42 PM in response to Old Toad

I use iPhoto Buddy to handle my numerous libraries. Below is the info for my two external hard drives.

I have Mac OS v 10.9.5, 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3, 12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, and iPhoto ’09, Version 8.1.2.

The 3gb Photos LaCie (Firesire) is connected through a Nitro AV hub to my desktop Mac.

The Photos Mirror (USB) album is connected directly to my desktop Mac.

They are both Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Hope this helps...

Dec 3, 2015 4:04 PM in response to Old Toad

I had already done that. But, guess what? A friend told me to reboot both XHDs (turn them off and/or unplug and turn on again). That worked! I'm back in business! Though I had to Force Eject both XHDs to shut them down.

Side question - I was wondering if there was a way for me to attach screenshots to my messages on this post....

Thank you so very much for your rapid and wise responses. Now you have another one to add to your arsenal of solutions. ;-)

Unable to write to iPhoto library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.