Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Every time my new macbook air wakes up the wi-fi connection doesn't automatically connect even though I set it to auto connect

I have a new MacBook Air and my wi-fi connection has to be manually selected after wakeup. The issue started after the Mavericks OS X 10.9 upgrade.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 6:35 PM

48 replies

Oct 30, 2013 11:02 PM in response to RonMarion

Test after taking each of the following steps. Back up all data before making any changes.

1. Make sure the network is on the preferred list by following these instructions. It's important to read the article carefully, as it's the starting point for any further efforts to solve the problem. If you skip any of the steps, the problem may not be solved.

2. Follow the instructions in this support article under the heading "Symptom: The network connection drops unexpectedly."

3. Make a note of all your settings for Wi-Fi in the Network preference pane, then delete the connection from the connection list and recreate it with the same settings. You do this by clicking the plus-sign icon below the connection list, and selecting Wi-Fi as the interface in the sheet that opens. Select Join other network from the Network Name menu, then select your network. Enter the password when prompted and save it in the keychain.

4. From the Location menu at the top of the Network preference pane, select Edit Locations. A sheet will drop down. Click the plus-sign button to create a new location. Give it any name you want. In the new location, set up the Wi-Fi service with the same settings you used before. Click Apply and test.

5. Launch the Keychain Access application. Search for and delete all AirPort network password items that refer to the network. Make a note of the password first.

6. In some cases, the problem has been resolved by repairing permissions on the startup volume.

7. Reinstall OS X.

Nov 4, 2013 12:17 PM in response to RonMarion

I'm running 10.9. Here is my fix:

1. Turn off blue tooth
  2. Go to System Preferences > Network.
  3. Click the Wi-Fi connection.
  4. Click the Advanced... button on the bottom right.
  5. Click the Wi-Fi tab.
  6. Under Preferred Networks, select your wireless network.
  7. Click the - (delete) button.
  8. Turn off your Wi-Fi connection.
  9. Turn it back on.
  10. Select and login to your wireless network. This will re-save your connection under Preferred Networks.
  11. Close your laptop and reopen it to test whether it worked.

hope it helps. with bluetooth off doesnt bother me as much as not having wifi auto reconnect after sleep mode.

Feb 22, 2014 6:49 AM in response to SLihousttes

I have the same problem with my 2013 MBA. It's a real pain. It seems that the problem doesn't happen if bluetooth is switched off but I have found no proper fixes.

I've been on support with apple for hours and they have no clue how to sort it and don't acknowledge it as an issue.

I agree with @Slihousttes that it's less annoying to have to turn bluetooth on and off all the time, but this is still a real pain and not what you expect from Apple. I hope they pick up on it properly and release a fix soon.

Mar 16, 2014 12:51 PM in response to RonMarion

if you go into system preferences to change the settings, first make sure it is unlocked so that changes are available and can be made.

go to system preferences

click on network

make sure lock is unlocked (bottom left corner)

click advanced (bottom right corner)

under wifi option (click your network and manually drag it to the top of the list): it joins networks in the order listed here, so if you put yours at the top it will join that first.

click apply settings

click the lock again (bottom left) to lock changes

hopes this helps. shouldnt have to reconfigure beyond this as suggested by some other posts, this should be the simplest option first.

Mar 26, 2014 9:21 AM in response to RonMarion

I am having this same issue after the most recent Mavericks upgrade and have tried all the fixes I have found so far (add/remove network, change priority order). I don't use Airport. I'm mainly posting here so hopefully Apple will see many people here have this problem - and if anyone knows another fix please let me know! It's really annoying to have to constantly turn the wifi off and on - I work from home and now must do this at least 30 times a day!

Mar 29, 2014 8:09 AM in response to RonMarion

I started to have the same problem on March 27, 2014. Everytime my Macbook Air (Mid 2012) wakes up from sleep, it scans for available network but does not connect to anything. Sometimes, it doesn't even see my home network. I have tried everything from rebooting to deleting and setting up the network again to chainging the priority order of my home network to the top. Apple needs to fix this with its next update.

Mar 29, 2014 8:16 AM in response to simsjaso

Thanks simsjaso, but this doesn't work. It's a more fundamental bug in the system not linked to simple config settings like this. Trust me, I have tried EVERYTHING including hours on phone with apple support, two full system restores and a new wireless card. It is a bug that apple can't currently be bothered to fix. 😠

Every time my new macbook air wakes up the wi-fi connection doesn't automatically connect even though I set it to auto connect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.