Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with Keychain in Mail

I am having a problem with Keychain in the new Mavericks OS X.

Every time I try to send mail using the Mail app and using my Gmail SMTP account, I get asked to put in my password with the following message:

"OS X wants to make changes. Type an administrator's name and password to allow this."

"OS X wants to use the "System" keychain."

This comes up all of the time, but only with GMAIL SMTP. I can send things through my iCloud account with no problems, but I use my Gmail account as my main account.

Has anyone else seen this and can anyone help?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 7:03 PM

19 replies

Nov 1, 2013 9:47 AM in response to TheBrac

Hi TheBrac,

You may want to check to make sure that the “Ask for Keychain password” option hasn't been accidentally selected for any Gmail related items in your System keychain in Keychain Access under Access Control. You may find the following article helpful:

OS X Mavericks: Allow apps to access your keychain

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13737

Regards,

- Brenden

Jan 8, 2014 2:06 AM in response to TheBrac

Did you maybe accidentally click on the little toolbar icon to digitally sign the email message in the New Message window in Mail?

I did, and the keychain that had the certificate used for signing was in the System keychain - which isn't unlocked like my login keychain usually is - so that's why it was prompting whenever I sent an email (each subsequent email attempts to digitally sign until you've untoggled that again).

Feb 20, 2014 4:45 PM in response to maddygp

I have been having the same issue recently. Watching Console I found that Mail.app was seeking access in order to "sign" an outgoing email. I opened the disclosure triangle of the certificate it was seeking and cmd-i the private key for the certificate. Then, I added mail.app to the access control list. This seems to have worked.

BTW the error was preceded by a Problem opening rules file "/etc/authorization": No such file or directory

Jul 7, 2014 11:54 AM in response to Frederick Northrop

I want Mail always running and able to access the keychain to login to accounts, but have the keychain locked to interactive users (until I unlock at the keyboard). But when I try to set Access Control to allow application login by Mail (while I'm away and the screen is locked), it says "Access for this item cannot be edited". How can I give Mail the access it needs? Currently is keeps asking permission, blocking Mail from running.

Thanks.

Jul 29, 2014 6:06 AM in response to maddygp

Just came here to comment that, in my case, the always emerging Request-for-Keychain-Access dialog after sending an email was due to the reason stated by maddygp (activation of the little toolbar icon to digitally sign the email message in the New Message window). Not sure if I accidentally clicked on it or if it is related to the OS X upgrade to 10.9.4 that I did yesterday night.

Thanks, maddygp

Sep 3, 2014 4:27 AM in response to maddygp

maddygp

Did you maybe accidentally click on the little toolbar icon to digitally sign the email message in the New Message window in Mail?

I did, and the keychain that had the certificate used for signing was in the System keychain - which isn't unlocked like my login keychain usually is - so that's why it was prompting whenever I sent an email (each subsequent email attempts to digitally sign until you've untoggled that again).

This solved it for me, thanks!

Problems with Keychain in Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.