Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Looking to convert current computing setup

Title pretty much sums it up.

Became ACMT earlier this year, have been working on Mac's since, and I am starting to see a lot of pros as to why I want to partially ditch my PC enviroment and move into a more Apple centric one. I'm hoping that I haven't missed the golden era and instead am entering another dark period, some of the changes are a little outside of what I expect from Apple, but that's a topic for another day.

I have a gaming desktop, custom built running dual GPU's (one was for Bitcoin Mining, but I've dropped out of that for the time being) and two screens. I also have two laptops, one is for music recording only as it's a weildy 17" HP and the other is a Dell Latitude D630 that I use at work. I have a Cisco/Linksys dualband router. What I'm looking to do is move forward from my desktop and D630, and replace my router. I also currently have an AirPort Express as an Ethernet Bridge for my Desktop.

I play GTA IV and Star Trek Online on my desktop, so I know I would either need to get Crossover, or BootCamp Windows 7 and use that to play them.
Would buying a MBP/rMBP and using a dock with an external screen and mouse/keyboard be a good idea or should I keep the MBP strictly as a mobile option and getting a Mac Mini be wiser? At the very least, I'm buying a MBP or rMBP, that's a guaranteed buy. Just debating which one I want based on: Will I want to upgrade it later? Do I need a SuperDrive? Will I really miss the Battery Indicator? (Minor, but I do like having it on my Latitude) Is it really that much faster having a SSD vs. Traditional drive and is it worth the space loss to get an SSD I probably can't upgrade later without blowing a huge wad of cash?

**edit** I just remembered I also use my desktop for most of my powerhouse work (VM's, Media consumption) so at what point does all of that become too much for a MBP? I think I just essentially sold myself on the Mini as well as the MBP, but still looking for opinions.

Assuming I went for both a Mini and a MBP or just the MBP I want to have a NAS I can put my files on, so what are some opinions on the AirPort Extreme vs. Time Capsule vs. building your own server in terms of Time Machine and NAS functions. I'm also not afraid to go Linux for a NAS, so anything goes in regards to that.

Those are the ideas I have, looking for any and all input as I'm currently mucking my way through this idea and just not sure what I want to do, and I feel like I just want some reviews/opinions and perhaps a nudging in a particular direction.

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 9:56 PM

There are no replies.

Looking to convert current computing setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.