Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Terminal command to rebuild launch services database?

Anyone know the exact terminal command to rebuild the launch services database for Mavericks?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 27 inch

Posted on Oct 31, 2013 3:09 AM

13 replies

Apr 5, 2017 8:02 AM in response to RonL

I need to do this with Mac OS Sierra 10.12.4 Can anyone give me the proper string to put in Terminal? I've tried the following but the particular issue remains:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.fram ework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user ; killall Dock

Apr 5, 2017 8:07 AM in response to Jody Joy

Launch Terminal

Triple click anywhere on the following line to copy entire line then at the prompt copy & paste this command:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchSe rvices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -seed -domain local -domain system -domain user

Then press return. Wait for the cursor to return to the command line.

Apr 5, 2017 8:27 AM in response to macjack

Hi Macjack, I pasted in the string, and after the last words I get this:

-bash: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchS e: No such file or directory

I didn't realize I was in a Mavericks forum, so I posted in Sierra. Here is the gist of the issue:

I am having a weird issue that someone told me can be solved by rebuilding the Launch Services Database. I downloaded a Quicken file from my financial institution and chose to open it with TextEdit just to check dates (stupid, but I've done this before prior to the last 1 or 2 OS updates). However this time ALL downloads are identified and stuck permanently as TextEdit files, including Quickbooks, Excel files, csv choices to download from the bank. In the Get Info pane there is no way to change the Open With selection to anything that MoneyDance will recognize. I've trashed com.apple.LaunchServices plist files, reset VRAM/PRAM, ran Onyx and even reinstalled the OS direct from Apple with no ability to download the file properly. It seems completely fixed as being a TextEdit file.

Apr 5, 2017 8:44 AM in response to macjack

Macjack, I made sure to triple-click here is the result:

Last login: Wed Apr 5 11:18:28 on ttys000

Archimedes:~ Jody$

Archimedes:~ Jody$ /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchS e rvices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -seed -domain local -domain system -domain user

-bash: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchS e: No such file or directory

Archimedes:~ Jody$

Nov 24, 2013 11:51 AM in response to RonL

This is the terminal command to rebuild launch services. In Mavericks it appears to work without restart or re-login. Probably best to do so anyway.

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.fram ework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user ; killall Dock

Hat tip to RoamingGenius.com: http://www.roaminggenius.com/2013/05/os-x-10-8-tip-rebuilding-launch-services-op en-with-contextual-menu/ I'm always loosing track of this...

Nov 24, 2013 8:12 PM in response to jd2020

Thanks.

Since I posted Onyx came out with an update for Mavericks that allows a person to rebuild LaunchServices.

And like you've noticed... in Mavericks... unlike in previous OS iterations... logging out is not necessary for the effects to take place (i.e. the Open With list returns to a minimal number of apps being listed rather than numerous duplicates).

Mar 31, 2014 6:22 PM in response to RonL

That didn't work for me on Mavericks. No such file or directory. But the version below does work for me:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchSe rvices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user ; killall Dock

Jun 3, 2014 8:27 AM in response to RonL

You MUST recopy the code above as there are (SPACES) that Terminal will not accept. e.g.

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchSe rvices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user ; killall Dock

Notice, 1st line 'LaunchSe' is cut off...this will show up as a blank space when copy/paste. Edit this prior to using it in terminal otherwise it could become very frustrating.

Hope this helps it did for me once I did it correctly 🙂

Terminal command to rebuild launch services database?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.