Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages 5.0 (Mavericks) - format table of contents

I have just have two Paragraph Styles (Heading 1 and Heading 2) in table of contents. However, the TOC is formatted all the same in regards to these different styles. For example, I want an indent voor Heading 2. When I try to do this, all the headings change. Also, when I select one row, other rows are selected - NOT the ones from the same style, which would be logical. It looks random. Anyway, I want to make the different Paragraph Styles clear in the TOC, which seems impossible. Any ideas?

In Pages '09 there was no problem with this.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 31, 2013 5:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2014 10:05 AM

I can see this question has gone for a long time without being answered. Hopefully, there is still a need.

For those familiar with the older version of Pages, they might remember that to change the Table of Contents, one would first select the text of just one of the headings that needs a new format. Within the Table of Contents, if you select one, all those elements that are created from the same paragraph style are simultaneously selected. This is still the same in Pages 5 (OS X Mavericks).

Next, in the older Pages, one would open the styles drawer and make changes there, but Pages 5 (OS X Mavericks) no longer has a Style Drawer! The secret is the "Format" pane. One can open the format pain by clicking the paintbrush in the top right corner of the document window.

This pane has two tabs. The "Table of Contents" tab allows the user to define which paragraph style elements are included in the table. The "Text" tab allows the user to change the format of the fonts for the selected elements. After viewing the following screenshot taken from a current project of mine, take a look at the warning that follows.

User uploaded file

Instinctively, we use the paragraph shift buttons to increase and decrease indents. Those buttons look like this:

User uploaded file

An attempt to use these buttons might lead you to believe that the "Text" tab is editing the whole table, because these buttons will affect the whole table all at once. Instead, use the "Indents" to change the distance from the table's left edge:

User uploaded file

Aside from this one thing, which sometimes catches and confuses new users, the rest of the "Text" tab is pretty straight forward and will allow you to make a wide variety of changes to your sub headings and their respective formats.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2014 10:05 AM in response to artnaz

I can see this question has gone for a long time without being answered. Hopefully, there is still a need.

For those familiar with the older version of Pages, they might remember that to change the Table of Contents, one would first select the text of just one of the headings that needs a new format. Within the Table of Contents, if you select one, all those elements that are created from the same paragraph style are simultaneously selected. This is still the same in Pages 5 (OS X Mavericks).

Next, in the older Pages, one would open the styles drawer and make changes there, but Pages 5 (OS X Mavericks) no longer has a Style Drawer! The secret is the "Format" pane. One can open the format pain by clicking the paintbrush in the top right corner of the document window.

This pane has two tabs. The "Table of Contents" tab allows the user to define which paragraph style elements are included in the table. The "Text" tab allows the user to change the format of the fonts for the selected elements. After viewing the following screenshot taken from a current project of mine, take a look at the warning that follows.

User uploaded file

Instinctively, we use the paragraph shift buttons to increase and decrease indents. Those buttons look like this:

User uploaded file

An attempt to use these buttons might lead you to believe that the "Text" tab is editing the whole table, because these buttons will affect the whole table all at once. Instead, use the "Indents" to change the distance from the table's left edge:

User uploaded file

Aside from this one thing, which sometimes catches and confuses new users, the rest of the "Text" tab is pretty straight forward and will allow you to make a wide variety of changes to your sub headings and their respective formats.

Pages 5.0 (Mavericks) - format table of contents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.