Skip navigation

Can I start new hard drive set up again?/time machine info missing!

168 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Oct 31, 2013 4:26 AM by Hevzz RSS
Hevzz Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 31, 2013 4:26 AM

Hi, hoping for some guidance as I think I've made a mistake with my new hard drive set up, and now my time machine hasn't transferred everything over as I've folders missing!

My hard drive packed up & a new 10.6 was installed on my Macbook Pro.  Previously running on 10.5.8 which was backed up to time machine 3 week ago.  I switched on and went through the 'set up assistant' but when asked 'Would you like to inherit (or reuse) the backup?' I think I chose 'Don't backup now'  because I thought I could do my time machine later!  I now know I have chosen the hard route!!

Then I tried the 'migrate assistant' - it took 1.5hrs - desktop has screen shots etc as before but I couldn't access thing like 'my pictures' in bridge etc. The dock has LR, PS, Bridge etc as before too.  Then I deleted the new admin set up (so I had only my old admin.)  I restarted - no change.  I then tried 'migration assistant' again but transfered only 'Other files and folders' because when all ticked there wasn't enough room (-81gb) 

Now I can go into LR catalog it only has 2 folders (instead of more than 20), and in Bridge I have files & folders, but on accessing them I get 'Items could not be found. It may of been moved or renamed.'

I've looked into erase & install - but I don't have the disc. Maybe I should go back to the shop who installed 10.6?  Can I start again so I can transfer from time machine in the set up?

Any advise on how I can get my info back would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks, Heather

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.