Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Vlookup question

Have a quick vlookup question. Since vlookup can't look right to left only left to right. Do I use Index & match? Or lookup or hlookup instead?

Thanks,

Tyson

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4)

Posted on Oct 31, 2013 4:48 AM

5 replies

Oct 31, 2013 6:12 AM in response to Jerrold Green1

Jerrold,

I have a Master list which I included a screen shot. I want to extract the name of the Contest from this, Once I do that I want to list out the Divisions,First and last names, Age and Sponsors, which I included a screen shot of this. Because the name comes forst in the master list the vlookup won't work for this. If I change the Columns aound on the master list it changes a bunch of other tables. I think I should use index& match, but I don't know how to use it.

If you have any suggestions that would be great.

Thanks,

Tyson

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Oct 31, 2013 10:49 AM in response to Jerrold Green1

Jerry,

I used the Index &match on the first column and it pulls up the name of the contest (A:4:A whatever). It works great. I change the contest name in A1 and it makes the contest name apperar in column A. The formula I used for this is:

=index(Sheet1::Master Databse::F,Match($A$1,Sheet 1::Master Database::$F,0,column()-1)

Seems to work. The next column (column B) is first name and column C is last name. How do I get the columns B & C to work? I can't use the match because in A1 because I get "can't find match". I want the names of the kids to appear in the in B and C.

I am stumped with what formula to use with the Index function.

Thanks,

Tyson

Vlookup question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.